Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

If anyone is interested in Indian Army units on the Western Front, a wonderful novel has just been published call Major Tom's War. It was written by Verity Walker, a heritage consultant and the granddaughter of Major Tom Westmacott, Central India Horse. The book is based on the war diaries of her grandfather and is a super read. You can buy the book through her website www.majortomswar.com. The photos are a good record too if you haven't seen horses at the front.

I am not her publicist by the way! My father was I think, the last British young officer to join the Central India Horse (CIH) in India prior to partition and I discovered the book through regimental contacts in India; the Regiment is still in existence and we have very strong links with serving and retired officers and their families. We have an Association of descendants (Central India Horse Association UK), who meet at least twice yearly and would be delighted to welcome new members who have a regimental connection. 

You might also be interested to know that there is an annual luncheon in London for descendants of all Indian Army Cavalry Regiments, called the Bonny Lunch. It is held at the Army and Navy Club on 10 April 2019 and this year's talk is all about partition. 

What brought me to this site was a post about Captain Flossie Filose who served with the 39th CIH November 1915. 

CIH Badge.jpeg

• Guest changed the title to Central India Horse

Charlie: welcome and thanks for the information.