Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British "E"-type Binocular Case 1916

Andrew Upton

I recently purchased on Ebay a 1916 dated leather binocular case, hoping from the dimensions that they would take a lone pair of 1917 dated No.3 MkI binoculars I also have. The case arrived yesterday, but although it is very nice it is just a little too small all round to take the binoculars. Given the overall condition I don't believe the case has shrunk sufficiently that this is the reason for the lack of fit, plus instead of the usual "BINOCULAR, PRISMATIC, NO.3, CASE. MK.1." that would be expected on the correctly matching case it instead simply has the letter "E" embossed directly over the makers mark of "A. GARSTIN & Co. Ltd. 1916". The case is also broad arrow marked to the front, so definitely an issue item, and not simply private purchase.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to what the letter "E" could refer to? Knowing that various non-military standard binoculars were acquired and issued in the early part of the war I wonder if this is a designation for the case that would match it to a similarly designated pair of binoculars, but would love to have it confirmed or otherwise.

Mark (1).jpg

Step (1).jpg

Edited by Andrew Upton

s-l1600[6].jpg

s-l1600[7].jpg

Edited by Andrew Upton

Dear Andrew,

A nice binoculars case, especially with the early makers' stamp.

I am afraid I cannot help with "E", unfortunately.

However, for interest, I attach a German case which was apparently captured in 1918 (the late owner's name ironically containing an "E"!). Both were quite well-made...

Kindest regards,

Kim.Binoculars_4_small.jpg.332c32388e136512a8f39f3a56b260ed.jpgBinoculars_5_small.jpg.efb28dab61185d55c7c27d386616ea8a.jpgBinoculars_6_small.jpg.e9bc868da30140819d9919e79ab8cc1e.jpgBinoculars_7_small.jpg.431ffb568b370436b398b3efa1b27e0c.jpg

There was more than 1 design of No. 3 Mk. I. Some had separate hinge components attached to the body castings. Others (I've seen a Ross example) had the hinge parts as extensions of the prism case endplates. I can visualise that a case intended for the former might not fit the latter as the hinges would be closer to the ends - but I don't know about the 'E'. The field of WW1 optics is complex enough for such a sizing convention to exist without being readily decodable to a casual observer of today! :-)

Thanks for the contributions. I have attached a couple of pictures of my 1917 binoculars over the case to illustrate the fit, or lack thereof. I have three pairs now of WW1 dated No.3 MkI binoculars, two of these in their original dated cases, and this case is definitely for something else and not just a snug fit...

DSC00876.JPG

DSC00877.JPG

Edited by Andrew Upton

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would give this one a bit of a bump. No answer to my original question still, but being still on the lookout for a suitable case, the following example on Ebay came onto my radar. A similarly constructed case, albeit noticeably taller/slimmer. Makers mark for Thomas French and Son of London, dated 1916, /I\ arrow marked with subsequent sold-out-of-service mark. This appears to have housed a pair of Galilean type binoculars, and this time the lid has been clearly marked (twice) with the capital letter H. Further evidence I suspect of some case designation system for different types that had ended up in military service:

Front.jpg

Back.jpg

H marks.jpg

s-l1600[2].jpg

s-l1600[1] (2).jpg

s-l1600[1] (3).jpg

I may be adding to the answer - since last night I am now aware of three pairs of H-cased binoculars that appear to largely conform with one another.

Set one - case by Thomas French and Son, 1916 dated, H mark to lid. Galilean binoculars by Lemaire of Paris, French War Ministry mark of MG with subsequent British /I\ and serial number S.3. 18148 engraved:

s-l1600[5].jpg

s-l1600[6].jpg

s-l16003E3GODX4.jpg

s-l1600[3].jpg

s-l1600[4].jpg

Set two - case by John And Bennett Green, 1916 dated, H mark to lid. Galilean binoculars by L. Petit of Paris, Patent Hezzanith mark with subsequent British /I\ and H* mark to one side,  and Mk.V. WIDE and serial number 50177 engraved on other:

s-l1600[2].jpg

s-l1600[6].jpg

s-l1600[1] (2).jpg

Edited by Andrew Upton

Set three - case by the Oak Leather Good Company, 1916 dated, H mark to lid. Galilean binoculars by L. Petit of Paris, and with subsequent (unclear) marks of what appear to be the British /I\ and H* mark to one side,  and Mk.V. WIDE and serial number engraved on other:

s-l500TOFQ4DPZ.jpg

s-l500[1].jpg

s-l500[4].jpg

Edited by Andrew Upton

So H-marked cases appear to be intended for British military acquired French production (or at least a fairly standardized type favoured by the French) Galilean binoculars. I will have to keep an eye out and see what other letters conform with specific binocular types.

Andrew,

Back in the mists of time (mid 1980's?) the NAM journal "Army Museum" had a couple of articles on British military binoculars by Bill Reid the then Director of NAM. They included a list of the alphabetical designations for various categories of binocular. I don't know his source for the lists and have not found it in the Min of Munitions History. Perhaps some one here on the forum has some of the the journals going back that far and could help?

Mike

16 hours ago, Mike_H said:

Back in the mists of time (mid 1980's?) the NAM journal "Army Museum" had a couple of articles on British military binoculars by Bill Reid the then Director of NAM. They included a list of the alphabetical designations for various categories of binocular. I don't know his source for the lists and have not found it in the Min of Munitions History. Perhaps some one here on the forum has some of the the journals going back that far and could help?

It certainly sounds like that could hold the answer. A shame it's too late to ask Bill Reid himself... 

• 3 months later...

Just found this great thread. Very nice pics! I have a set, made by J.Cripps, 1917 and stamped H*. Kind of sounds like they were marks to represent the evolution of the cases and perhaps the glasses.

However, no idea as to the actual meaning of the "E,H" series, etc....

On 05/02/2019 at 15:59, Andrew Upton said:

I may be adding to the answer - since last night I am now aware of three pairs of H-cased binoculars that appear to largely conform with one another.

Set one - case by Thomas French and Son, 1916 dated, H mark to lid. Galilean binoculars by Lemaire of Paris, French War Ministry mark of MG with subsequent British /I\ and serial number S.3. 18148 engraved:

Just noticed the development of this thread. The 'S.3' marking denotes 'Special, Grade 3', and that in turn means 'high-grade Galilieans' in the emergency gradings under which civilian glasses were taken into military service in 1914 and 15.