Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which german unit faced VC R.Shankland (26 oct 1917 Passchendaele)

bonzillou

hello

I'm trying to find which german regiment (if not better, a division) faced Robert Shankland, 43rd Bn (Canada) on the morning of October 26 1917 at the Bellevue Spur, Passchendaele sector. Cpt Shankland was awarded a VC that day:

Having gained a position at Passchendaele on 26th October 1917, Lieutenant Shankland organised the remnants of his own platoon and other men from various companies to command the foreground where they inflicted heavy casualties on the retreating Germans. He later dissipated a counter-attack, allowing for the arrival of support troops. He then communicated to his HQ a detailed evaluation of the brigade frontage. On its completion he rejoined his command, carrying on until relieved. His courage and his example undoubtedly saved a critical situation.

Thanks a lot

Pascal

Thanks Jon for the link (that I already know)

80 german divisions were involved at Passchendaele, this is why this research has been difficult for me..

Many thanks Skipman, this is a good lead.

If it was 76 I.R., these guys were already at Mons in the way of several other VCs!

Hi Pascal,

For what it’s worth here’s how I found the German regiment involved in the action in which my grandfather was wounded (Villers-Bret March 1918).

1.       Searched his battalion’s war diaries and papers for reference to opposing forces in that battle

2.       Searched the diaries of the battalions he fought alongside in that battle (where I found the 91st Oldenburg referenced as the opposing force)

3.       Contacted Patrick at Military-Books@gmx.net who was very helpful in locating (and selling me a very reasonably priced digital copy of…) a history of the 91st Oldenburg. He was also helpful in advising how likely I was to find regimental war diaries for German regiments ‘Most gone during bombing in WW2… though some units of the Bavarian, Wurrtemberg and Saxonian Army the war diaries often been stored in the local War Ministries and since them not being bombed like the Prussian one  those files survived and are easier to find.’

4.       I also contacted the local library in Oldenburg who were helpful and suggested a number of possible sources, though these were not fruitful for me.

Good luck with your search for more information on Robert’s war.

cheers

mark

Hello,

Exactly where was Shankland in action?

Jan

Thanks Jamtin for the tips. I will also take a look in my library. May be they have a Battlefield Europe about this battle.

@AOK4 please find map attached with the zone highlighted (light blue)

For now, I've found a lead in a book: Bullets, Bombs, and Bayonets by Edward N. Ross

He writes that the 43rd Battalion had to fight units  from the 11.Bayerische Infanterie Division and the 238. Infanterie Division that day.
Now I have to check if the 2 regiments mentioned above are part of these divisions.

historical map bellevue highlighted.jpg

It was Bavarian Infantry Regiment 22 (of the 11th bavarian Infantry Division) which was holding that exact area on 26 October 1917, being relieved by Infantry Regiment 465 (238th Division) later that day.

BIR 22 was holding a line of concrete bunkers in that area, which were gradually destroyed in the preliminary bombardment (see my book "Defending the Ypres Front" p. 88).

Jan

Many thanks Jan.

At that time of the battle the Königlich Bayerisches 22. Infanterie-Regiment "Fürst Wilhelm von Hohenzollern“ was commanded by Oberstleutnant (Lieutenant Colonel) Theodor Carl .

And I'm happy to add a new book to my collection!

51YHp7yL8+L._SX341_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thanks a lot Charlie2 for this link.

The action I'm studying is described on page 84.

It is interesting that it is mentioned that the australian attack is supported by planes firing their MGs on the german lines. Something I have not read in the australian reports.

Hello Pascal,

I don't know if this helps, but it appears as if Shankland and his men were in D.4.d.central, roughly 40 yards past two pill-boxes. You're probably well aware of this but the attack on Oct. 26th owes a great deal to Shankland and his men holding firm in what was the centre of the attack up the Spur. The english planes firing their MGs surprises me, too. I've read the reverse many times.

Cheers,

Darrell

image.png.a12eeb0d514a9ebf9750175318f2a13b.png

image.png.708b749c7359e44f57aef59f61b9c8fa.png

image.png.3444df2811030ceb7ece6f068209d7ca.png