Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kippers and jam ... ??

seaJane

Extracted from the GW chapter of Stuart, Dorothy M. King George the Sixth. London: Harrap, 1937. (Apologies for dodgy quality, photographed off screen).

kippers and jam.jpg

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

Extracted from the GW chapter of Stuart, Dorothy M. King George the Sixth. London: Harrap, 1937. (Apologies for dodgy quality, photographed off screen).

kippers and jam.jpg

Eeeww!  

Kippers and marmalade and bacon and marmalade was always and still is a favourite, came from my dad who was in the RN through the late forties and fifties.

Oh, right ....rather like bacon and maple syrup, I suppose...

40 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Oh, right ....rather like bacon and maple syrup, I suppose...

To this day the Canadian forces love for breakfast. They do not understand breakfast or "tea". 

Where did the floating shop operate? Inland waters or more out to sea? I thought the RN had the fore runner to the NAFFI on board even pre great war? 

It looks as if the Borodino was probably a depot ship for flotillas of smaller craft. It would remain in port, and the smaller vessels would visit as they came off patrols.

Kippers and jam? I was reminded of my college days when breakfast sometimes consisted of bacon and homemade fish cakes. An unexpected but pleasant combination, the only snag being that the bacon was streaky and we were given fish knives and forks. We had to cut up the bacon along the fatty streaks and wind it round the fork!

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

Thank you Ron.  Who would staff these depot ships? Civvy or navy? 

My side interest is the formation of the NAFFI(including ASC(canteens) ) 

(Not a thank you for the culinary insight to high academia!) 

Had a quick search around and:

http://www.vlib.us/wwi/resources/northseadiary.html

"Any account of Scapa in war-time would be incomplete without some reference to the 'Gourko' and the 'Borodino'. The 'Borodino' was run by the Junior Army and Navy Stores, and was either alongside some battleship or anchored conveniently in the middle of the Fleet. When one felt opulent, a party was organized to go shopping, and returned laden with novels, games, and luxuries such as bottles of stuffed olives or salted almonds. The 'Gourko' was the theatre ship."