Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bandsman R Wilkinson

BeverleyDi

Please can anyone work any magic and help me discover anything about Bandsman R Wilkinson.

I'm a volunteer with East Riding Archives and our project has been to research and then write a pen-portrait of anyone whose photograph appeared in the Beverley Guardian during WW1.

All I know about R Wilkinson is that his photograph appeared on 1 September 1917 and Reuben Wilkinson married Edith Leake in Beverley Dec 1/4 1915.  I also have Edith's service record when she joined the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps in Newcastle in 1918 as a married woman but giving her mother as her next of kin, and leaving service in February 1919 on compassionate grounds.  Her parents were both alive into the 1930s.

I'm attaching the photograph that appeared in the newspaper which was my starting point but there seem to be no clues as to where he came from, his age, or with which Regiment he served.  I have checked on Reuben Wilkinsons - and there are a few - but I can't tie any of them to a bandsman or to Beverley. I hate to admit defeat but unless anyone has any brilliant ideas, I'm stumped.

IMG_4879.jpg

Do you have any idea of his age when he married Edith? Date of birth would help.

The best plan is to order the marriage certificate that will give his age and father. If we are very lucky may give his regiment. We can then go from there.

Think it may be Ethel?

George

No idea of his age as it was a Registry Office wedding - Edith was only 20 but I'd guess from the photo that Reuben is older.

And Mark, you're right about the marriage certificate probably giving more information but there's no budget for ordering certificates.  I really could have done with them getting married in church as I could have accessed those records but these 2 just aren't being helpful.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Di

Could it be Elsie L Plant married Reuben not Edith? 

57 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Think it may be Ethel?

Yes, the 1915 marriage of Reuben Wilkinson certainly looks like it was to Ethel Leake, not Edith.

What does the article say that appears with the photograph?

It mentions his brother-in-law.....is the implication given that they are both serving together?

Perhaps finding the brother-in-law would help.

Do you have the name of Ethel’s brother? If he is in the same newspaper than he should be traceable, At the moment we cannot use that route to get to Reuban. Looked in the newspaper archive but cannot track the page down.

Some useful info in Ethel’s enrolment into the WAAC. Gives address in Heaton, Newcastle. Next of kin mother is Sarah Elizabeth Leake of Beverley. Ethel is 22 in Sept 1918. She was born Middleton-on-the-Wolds. Born 28/11/1895 according to the papers

This leads to some records that seems to suggest she was only born in 1900. Her only older brother iif correct Ethel is Fred. If have the correct family than this may explain the lack of records after the marriage which would have been illegal even then I think. 

Edit

suppose 1 in 1901 and 11 in 1911 could mean born 1899 and as she was married 4Q 1915 she could just about have been 16.

Edited by Mark1959

64199 Fred(erick) Leake appears to be Ethel’s brother. Discharge papers survive, Place of birth is Middleton-on-the-Wolds. Age 29 in 1919 — fits in with 1901 census aged 11. He was a Police Constable. Served in Salonica and contracted Malaria.

Sergeant. RAMC. Getting closer.

From the docs it does not look as if Fred ever went to France. So Reuban and he were not in the same unit.

Edited by Mark1959

Correct on the birth date of Ethel - on the WAAC papers she gives her date of birth as 28/11/1895  but when I checked on her Middleton on the Wolds baptism just now, her birth date is shown as 28/11/1899 (and baptism 25/3/1900) And it comes up as Lake - the family also appear on Census records as Leak.  Perhaps she was literally just 16 at the time of the marriage.  

There was no article with the photo - I think Sarah Elizabeth Leake (mother to Fred and Ethel) provided it to the newspaper.

I have researched RAMC Sgt Fred - he was an LNER transport policeman and there seems to be no obvious connection to a Reuben.

I found one possible Reuben Wilkinson - 2nd and 8th East Yorks Reg Pte 8981 on Medal Roll. Find my Past gives a record of 3 Casualty Clearing Station on 20 Feb 1915 which is evidence of an injury but was he a bandsman?

All questions but not very good answers I'm afraid.

And many thanks for your support.

Di

There is a Reuben Wilkinson in 2 EYR in 1911 census. Age 23 born Sheffield. This may or my not be 8981. See if I can locate any other records for this. In India at the time. 8981 I think dates from about 1908. 8989 joined 25/8/08.

Do you know where Fred worked as a Transport Policeman?. Do you have a record?

probably flying a kite but

8981 was born Sheffield. 

There is a Reuben Wilkinson in the 1939 Register living in a Hull. Married to a Dora. He is 48 and DoB is 21/1/1891. I have found a baptism for a Reuben Wilkinson born on that date in Sheffield. We know 8981 was born Sheffield but supposedly 3 years earlier. The occupation of the man in 1939 is given as “ex Police Constable”. Can we prove this man was linked to Fred by where they worked?

The Reuben with Dora in 1939 joined Hull City Police 4 Feb 1919 and was dismissed from the Force 2 June 1939 (haven't found out why).  He'd married Dora L Boyle in 1931 in Hull.

Fred Leake was a transport policeman by 1914 and in Cottingham, just outside Hull at this time. He was only entitled to British and Victory medals so didn't enlist in the early years of the war (married with 2 young children).  By 1935 he was living between York and Boroughbridge and had remarried following the death of his first wife.

If Reuben wasn't local, could he have been in the barracks at Beverley around 1914/1915 for some reason?

I wonder why Ethel moved from Hull to Newcastle in 1918 working on the trams before joining WAAC. She'd been at St John's VAD hospital in Hull from June 1917 to Feb 1918.  And I can't find her on the 1939 but can't find a death or another marriage either.

There is one possible Reuben connection on her mother's side - there's a Reuben Eastwood Wilkinson born in Halifax Sept 1/4 1891 and Sarah Leake's maiden name was Eastwood but the maiden name of this Reuben's mother was Sharp according to the GRO and Sarah was definitely born and bred in Middleton on the Wolds, East Yorkshire.

There's a Reuben Wilkinson born in Hull 1881 but he and his father were lightermen on the Humber and I just can't imagine he'd have been a bandsman!

Thanks again for looking at this - flying kites is as near as I'm getting to a drum or a cornet.

Di

Di

You seem to have worked hard on this. Just on my tablet in France. Will look at this again in a week when I get back. I like a challenge!!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Have given up on this one - sometimes you just have to admit defeat. Am now researching a Gunner who's proving to be much easier.  

Thanks to all

Di

Di,

Apologies if I've missed it, but did you ever come back with the information about who he was the brother-in-law of - as stated in the caption to the picture?

Cheers,

Peter