Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Butcher blade' - origin of the name?

trajan

Having collected 'Butcher bayonets' for some time now it suddenly occured to me that why I can explain the name (the blade shape and form), I have never seen any reliabloe reference to its first use... It doesn't seem to feature in any of the WW1 memoirs or diaries I have read (a scant few, I confess), nor can I track it down in newspapers. Anyone any ideas?

TIA

Interesant.

I suspect it was nickname from the British Tommy. The shape of the blade is unlike most bayonets, more like a large knife.

Edited by Gunner Bailey

Yes, I have no problems with explaining the blade shape - but when did the term first come in use? As I said before, I can't find it in any contemporary diaries or newspapers - although I have NOT looked very, very hard...

It comes from the blade shape resembling the shape of a typical butcher's knife. That style seems to be less popular than it once was but is still available from most cutlers. The triangular chef's knife seems to have supplanted this style in most kitchens. Growing up in the 50s/60s if anybody asked for a butcher's knife they got handed something like this.

943869548_butchersknife2.jpg.b568669bb14b6fbc639d2593dac541a3.jpg241534276_butchersknife1.jpg.fb5095f96fb8cefde90e846023561588.jpg

Indeed. The form I am familiar with - but when does the name first appear in print with reference to the S.98/05? 'Handwritten' diary or otherwise? I see lots of anecdotal references to men calling it a 'Butcher bayonet', and everybody today uses the term today - BUT is there a CONTEMPORARY reference to it as a 'Butcher bayonet'? I.e., can anyone refere me to a diary or newspaper account that talks specificallyof the 'Butcher bayonet'...  I can find references to saw-backed ones in contemporary diaries, but 'Butcher bayonets'?

I wonder if, thousands of German soldiers being armed with them before they were ever glimpsed by the British, the first reference to “butcher blade “ might well be found in German sources (letters home, newspapers, unit war diaries etc).

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
Typo

My idea as well, but I couldn't find anything in a few special dictionaries I have about (German) soldier's slang of WWI...

56 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

I wonder if, thousands of German soldiers being armed with them before they were ever glimpsed by the British, the first reference to “butcher blade “ might well be found in German sources (letters home, newspapers, unit war diaries etc).

Regards,

JMB

Yes, quite possible if similar blades were used by German butchers. So the term could date to the 1890's.

I always thought the term "BUTCHER" blade or bayonet came from the British propaganda on those "Saw back" versions, and the name stuck for all 98/05's

All country's used propaganda, one of the " rumors" the British set out was that the "hun's" were using sawbacks to torture prisoners, the way re- telling goes, torture to the word butcher would seem likely, the story goes that any soldiers caught/ prisoner with a Sawback and the Brits would shoot the officer on site. I have read this in a few places on line and maybe in a book or magazine somewhere