Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Benbow Battalion RND

Snowyred

Is there a link that I could use to access the diary for "A" Company of Benbow Battalion or even just for Benbow. RND by any chance. Thanks in advance

There are no surviving diaries for Benbow Battalion RND, neither for their operations at Antwerp (battalion interned in Holland), nor for the re-constituted Benbow Battalion's very brief (ten days) existence at Gallipoli.

Sorry, no. What are you trying to find? Blandford newspapers may help. For other snippets of Benbow operations Len Sellers 'RND' may be of help - it includes some personal diaries. See, in particular, the diary of AB Thomas Macmillan of Benbow.

As an aside, Macmillan was a Glasgow recruit and his diary confirms, following up your other topic about travel from Scotland to Crystal Palace, that his draft of recruits did move south by train from Govan, via St Enoch station, Glasgow,

Edited by horatio2

Thanks Horatio2 I'll check it out, my person in question was also from Glasgow so more than likely would of travelled the same way in Oct 1914.

Although Benbow Battalion War Diaries do not exist there are War Diaries for RND General Staff and RND 1st Brigade HQ in particular covering the Gallipoli Campaign. May be worth a long shot particularly if you are looking at certain dates before Benbow Battalion was disbanded. I would suggest early June 1915 would be the dates to look at as the Benbows  did not arrive in theatre until 31st May.

Edited by Lawryleslie