Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scots Guards 1916 casualty - which battalion, please?

Stuart T

A relative has started researching

Samuel Lewin born Syston, Leicestershire 1897.

Private 14209 Scots Guards per MIC.

He is shown as entitled to SWB and appears in the Times listing of wounded published 28 Oct 1916 (page 6).

Is there any way of finding his likely battalion from this date and/or his number?

I have not checked for a service record either.  My council has cancelled its Library subscription to Ancestry!

Thanks.

Hi

The only ref: on Ancestry i can find is a link to a Fold3 file that I do not have access to, cannot find an MIC or Medal Roll

Name: Samuel Lewin
Birth Date: 1898
Residence Place: Leicester
Military Service Region: North Midlands, England
Discharge Date: 24 Apr 1919
Service Number: 14209
Regiment: SCOT GDS.

Scots Guards Service records are held at their headquarters and survive mostly (apart from weeding) intact, a copy can be requested for a fee, see here https://scotsguards.org/history/archives/

I'm not sure what you mean by "finding his number" in paragraph 2, you quote it in paragraph 1.

Sam

Thanks. I got the MIC from thegenealogist.co.uk 

"finding his battalion from his number"! Thanks for link.

There are some papers on FmP as well, that I haven't looked through fully.

His wound was a GSW to thigh, leg and left foot in Sept 1916.

He reenlisted into the RASC Supplementary Reserve category C as late as 1935

His Medal Index roll on ancestry suggests 2nd Btn SG

roughdiamond, I didn't post an image...

It's a link to the full information which will only show if you have a valid ancestry subscription. A non subscriber to the site will be directed to take out a subscription after clicking.

I wasn't aware that posting links was against the rules but if so I'll certainly take note.

Jason, the MIC I have seen in black and white should be the same as the colour one on Ancestry. What is it please that suggests second battalion?

The Medal Roll on the Ancestry link has "2SG" after his name. Some of the others on same page have "1SG"

Thanks. I see now it is in the Roll, not the MIC.

Yes Stuart, the mention of 2SG was on the roll and not the MIC

The 2nd Scots Guards diary may have an entry to find more about the injury in Sept 1916.

After my scolding earlier (now deleted) I'd better not post any more links until I find out what's allowed or not!

52 minutes ago, JasonMc said:

Yes Stuart, the mention of 2SG was on the roll and not the MIC

The 2nd Scots Guards diary may have an entry to find more about the injury in Sept 1916.

After my scolding earlier (now deleted) I'd better not post any more links until I find out what's allowed or not!

Links are allowed Jason, images are not, maybe I should have been clearer on that. The reason for this is sites like Ancestry have made it clear to do so is to breach copyright, hence the prohibition.

To further clarify, if for example a member has a paid subscription and posts an image they seek assistance for, this is allowed as you are deemed to have paid for it, to request a look up or image or to post an image requested or not for someone is prohibited to protect the GWF from legal action.

Sam

3 hours ago, roughdiamond said:

Scots Guards Service records are held at their headquarters and survive mostly (apart from weeding) intact, a copy can be requested for a fee, see here https://scotsguards.org/history/archives/

I'm not sure what you mean by "finding his number" in paragraph 2, you quote it in paragraph 1.

Sam

Hi,

I appreciate the link you’ve posted has a 2019 date stamp but my understanding from several posts on the forum last year is that all Scots Guards Archives have been transferred to National Records Scotland in Edinburgh. They are currently going through a “reception process” and are not yet available for access. I’m going to send them a FOI today to see if there is an update.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/

Regards

steve

Thanks everyone. That's plenty to go on unless somebody knows what is in the file on fold3.