Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brigadier General R.H. Husey

Ccrip - apologies for the post but I tried to message you directly about this but unfortunately I can't seem to send a message!!

I am trying to find out what led to Ralph Husey being awarded his Military Cross in May 1915. I can't find his citation and it's not mentioned in the LRB war diary (unless I have missed it).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

For what it's worth, the History of the LRB has a Memoir of Brigadier General Husey, and it makes this comment:

'During his first serious engagement, the second battle of Ypres, on 13th may, he went out into the open in chracteristic fashion and endeavoured to restore the situation, which had become unsatisfactory owing to the retirement of some men of other regiments through misunderstanding an order. While engaged on this he was so severely wounded that he had to go back to England, where two shrapnel bullets were taken out of his knee and it was not until 4th october that he was allowed, after a rest at Tidworth with the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion, LRB, to rejoin his own battalion which was then at Blendecques.'

It doesn't specifically confirm the MC was awarded for that, but I would assume that he was.

Capt. Ralph Hamer Husey received the MC in the London Gazette of 23 June 1915, page 6126

Honours and Rewards for distinguished service in the Field with effect from 3rd June 1915 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29202/supplement/6126

Edit to add: If of interest, also received the Order of Danilo, 4th Class, awarded by the King of Montenegro, March 1917 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29977/supplement/2448

Edited by HarryBrook