Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of MC winners - Capt W M Perry

AM87

Hi all - would appreciate some help. I have come into possession of a WW1 Military Cross engraved with the name of Capt W. M Perry.  I have searched through Forces War Records and cannot find anyone by this name.  Could anyone help or point me in a direction to look?

Have you by any chance misread the lettering, 'M' for 'H'? There is no Capt. W. M. Perry in the London Gazette notifications of Military Cross awards but there is a W. H. Perry - Capt. William Howard Perry, 10th Bn. Australian Infantry https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31480/supplement/9803 The award was announced earlier in the year (issue 31183 of 15 February 1919 page 2384).

It would be helpful if AM87 could post a photo of the inscription here

Dear corisande,

My thoughts exactly!

W. M. Perry is after all, not W. H. Perry, or others with similar initials.

Of course a GVR Military Cross award was not confined to the Great War...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi

William Howard Perry, details as service record, enlsted 19th August, 1914. died  10th Jan 1971., Christies Beach,   Adelaide, South Australia. served in WW2,  Spouse Louisa Ivy Vera Perry (nee Sampson) married  29th August 1918 St.Mathews Church, Cockington ,Devon.   Newton Abbott, Devon. His brother Frank was killed 2.10.1917, Belgium Service No 2006.https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?dbid=60528&h=3349747&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=61172...Grave details.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

• Admin
5 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

The name on that medal looks like 'Penny' to me.

The seller thinks it is Perry.... 

Not saying you are wrong though Dai - I struggle to read it from the images

Dear Dai Bach y Sowldiwr,

You are right!

Temp. Capt. W. M. Penny, M.D., late RAMC.

Army List, April 1920...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear All,

Definitely W. M. PENNY.

Well done GWF luminary David for finding the engraving illustrated!1616721885_T-CaptW.H.PennyMDlateRAMC.jpg.ecdb7df0f0f49af059306f5dc55810fe.jpg

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Pre war Cambridge Blue for rugby and Somerset County Rugby player

HI all, thanks for your help.  That's really helpful,  that is the medal i was referring to, it is a copy though as the year it was awarded is not inscribed on the bottom.  In fairness to the seller though he says its a copy.  

Dear AM87,

I think you will find that the officially engraved year started after the First War. Indeed, most were blank on the reverse.

The Penny engraving looked contemporary to me. I attach the reverse of my grandfather's MC for comparison.

MC copies are found by looking at other details, like the ring suspender and other details covered in the Williamson books, for example.

Kindest regards,

Kim.MC_rev_small.jpg.4f83416b25adb2e4adf0f249d4ee8c41.jpg