Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell ID

Jon_B

Can anyone ID this case and projectile? It belonged to my great-grandfather, who was in the RN 1890 to 1930. He was in a variety of ships, including Marlborough at Jutland, and commanded torpedo boats and armed trawlers during his service. Ammunition for a deck gun perhaps? Apologies, I don't have access to it to get measurements, and the case is fixed into the stand so I can't see markings on the base either.

Thanks

Jon

Shell case and projectile.jpg

Edited by Jon_B

The projectile looks like a 6 Pounder Hotchkiss, which started off as a naval weapon. I'm not sure about the cartridge case, but it might be a 2 Pounder pom-pom that has had the neck flared. The former has a diameter of 57mm and the latter 40mm.

1 hour ago, peregrinvs said:

The projectile looks like a 6 Pounder Hotchkiss, which started off as a naval weapon. I'm not sure about the cartridge case, but it might be a 2 Pounder pom-pom that has had the neck flared. The former has a diameter of 57mm and the latter 40mm.

I thought the same, except the ogive CRH looks a bit long for WW1 fashion - but that might be a lens effect. Driving band and crimp cannelure look right.

Thanks both, he was also in the Home Guard in WW2, I guess it's possible he obtained these during that period. Photo from a different angle, if that helps. These belong to an ageing uncle in the UK, I will try and get measurements.

Jon

Shell case and projectile 2.jpg