Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

uniform question, 1916

searching_for_years

Hi, can anyone tell me anything about the uniform this man is wearing, especially the white flash around the top of his left sleeve? (N.B. for anyone who's paying careful attention, this isn't the same man I've been asking questions about up till now, though he is a relative so there is some family resemblance!)

I think the photo was probably taken in late summer / early autumn 1916 (but it could be later) and I think the soldier in question was probably in the Training Reserve at the time, though I could be wrong about that too.

Any and all clues and information gratefully received.image.png.3545101330e8ccc5d9658c096e96fd27.png

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

That'll be his lanyard

Oh, thank you, I didn't thought of that.

Have read the link - did other people as well as officers have lanyards? He wasn't ever an officer, but he eventually joined the RND (though I thought this photo might have been taken earlier than that) - would their naval connections lead to ordinary seamen wearing such things? He started out as an ordinary seaman, then was promoted first to able seaman and eventually able seaman (higher grade) - but he never got any further up the ladder than that.