Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ww1 turkish bayonet translation

josh2345678

Is this full-length? Or (unlikely, I know) has it been shortened?

That's what it should be but no harm in making certain! I assume no serial number on the other side as you don't ask about or show that. 

A reasonably uncommon bayonet as only about 25,000 were made. There were five makers altogether and years ago I helped SS in compiling sample marks and lists of known examples to assess who made how many and when, but the thread on this at: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/161354-turkish-bayonets/ has been locked for some time and I have heard nothing more from him on that - any progress SS?  

Hello!

I can´t read the second cypher. To me it´s a 1206 or 1306, probably 1306 which would be "our" 1889. 1206 would be 1792

https://www.aoi.uzh.ch/de/islamwissenschaft/hilfsmittel/tools/kalenderumrechnung/hegira.html

Arabic form Number    
٠ 0    
۱ 1    
۲ 2    
٣ 3    
٤ 4    
۵ 5    
٦ 6    
٧ 7    
٨ 8    
٩ 9    
۱٠ 10    
Edited by The Prussian

6 hours ago, trajan said:

That's what it should be but no harm in making certain! I assume no serial number on the other side as you don't ask about or show that. 

A reasonably uncommon bayonet as only about 25,000 were made. There were five makers altogether and years ago I helped SS in compiling sample marks and lists of known examples to assess who made how many and when, but the thread on this at: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/161354-turkish-bayonets/ has been locked for some time and I have heard nothing more from him on that - any progress SS?  

Has no serial number?

Hi Josh,

There is usually a serial number using Ottoman numbers (as in the Prussian's post above) on the crossguard, but these were often very faintly stamped. I have not looked at my Turkish bayonets for a while but will do so and try to get a photograph. The 1887 was the first Turkish / Ottoman bayonet to have serial numbers. They are not found on any of the slightly earlier Peabody-Martini bayonets.

23 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

I can´t read the second cypher. To me it´s a 1206 or 1306, probably 1306 which would be "our" 1889. 1206 would be 1792

https://www.aoi.uzh.ch/de/islamwissenschaft/hilfsmittel/tools/kalenderumrechnung/hegira.html

Yes, 1306... But you have to be careful in calculating our calendar for these bayonets were marked - if I recall correctly - by the fiscal year system, so March to March... I have some notes somewhere on this, and if my old mate SS doesn't respond sooner than I'll post up a chart with cross-dates that I prepared for my Peabody-Martin article... 

Now, if only they were made and dated by Syriac craftsmen it would be a lot easier...:wacko: 

Edited by trajan

Hello Julian!

Yes, I know, the ottoman calendars are very difficult. The chart would be very interesting!!!!

On 14/01/2019 at 05:28, trajan said:

Is this full-length? Or (unlikely, I know) has it been shortened?

Julian

A photo I have found, for your reference

Regards

D. 

H4044-L161483464.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/01/2019 at 07:20, zuluwar2006 said:

Julian

A photo I have found, for your reference

Regards

D. 

H4044-L161483464.jpg

Thanks to all that's was much help👍 That picture is interesting you know what year that is? Thanks 

10 minutes ago, josh2345678 said:

Thanks to all that's was much help👍 That picture is interesting you know what year that is? Thanks 

It is indeed a great photograph and I was rude not to say thanks to Dimitrios for posting it - sorry!

He has the Fez, not used after 1909, and that looks to be a Turkish 1903 rifle (can't see a magazine there!) and an 1890 or possibly 1903 bayonet - but I am happy to be corrected!