Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal West Surrey (Queens) WW1

Hi......New to site, can anyone help with some information on my Uncles regiment in the First World War.

He enlisted, on 3rd March 1913, 1st Battalion Royal West Surrey Regiment and was sent to France on the outbreak of war. He landed in Le Harve on 13th August, a member of the British Expeditionary Force. He was wounded in October and sent home, returning to France the following year, October 1915. From then until April 1916 I have no knowledge as to wether he returned to his original regiment or posted to another. I know he was gassed on 30th April but not sure where, I think it was at Wulverghem, and died on 3rd May 1916. I would like to trace his whereabouts from his return to his death......be grateful if anyone could help.......regards, Tony

Hello Tony and welcome. As RussT implies it would be easier to help you with your uncle's name and number. However it is not impossible without that detail. The only casualty from the Royal West Surrey Regiment listed by the CWGC as having died on 3rd May 1916 is L/10356 Serjt A R Smith who was serving with the 8th Battalion of the Regiment. The Regimental History records that the battalion was in support occupying three large farms near Wulverghem towards the end of March 1916. Although they were in support their position was only 30 yards from the German trenches (one wonders how close the front line trench was). The tour was tolerably quiet as the enemy was not very active but later on one or two occasions the enemy discharged a lot of gas which, coming unexpectedly, caused considerable casualties in the battalion. It seems that your uncle was among the casualties. By the beginning of June the trench strength of the battalion was down to 437.

Earlier the battalion had suffered heavy losses in the Battle of Loos. After the battle they moved to Reningheist on 5th October 1915 and while there a draft of 60 joined the battalion and a further draft of 200 joined later in the month. Towards the end of November the battalion moved to Nordausques about four miles from St Omer where they were in reserve. In January they moved by train to Poperinghe and marched from there to a hutted camp on the OuderDom - Vlamertinghe Road before moving up into the line in the area of Railway Wood.