Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery Troop Ship in Bombay Harbour

PJS

Can anyone identify this troop ship from the number (EO628)?  Photo was taken in Bombay harbour by my grandfather, probably in late 1916 or 1917.

Loading-Troops-Bombay.JPG.e7b0f9f42b4f92d20c70f05b59227109.JPG

Peter

Peter

She is the EMPRESS OF BRITAIN built for the Canadian Pacific Rly Co's. Atlantic service in 1905.  Initially she was taken up as an Armed Merchant Cruiser but reverted to trooping from 1915 to 1919

Tony

603048140_EmpressofBritain.jpg.3f6d63896a86bac813d20c8f745f090f.jpg

Peter,

To add to Tony's post, the Empress of Britain was employed for trooping to/from Bombay from 15 November 1916 to 20 June 1918 (other trooping before & after that) . The operating company name was Canadian Pacific Ocean Services Ltd, I gather a subsidiary of the Canadian Pacific Railroad Company (both are listed in different references). Gross tonnage was 14,189 tons. Launched November 1905, completed fitting out April 1906. Passenger/Cargo ship, twin screw, capable of 18 knots.

Mike

14 hours ago, MKC said:

Peter,

To add to Tony's post, the Empress of Britain was employed for trooping to/from Bombay from 15 November 1916 to 20 June 1918 (other trooping before & after that) . The operating company name was Canadian Pacific Ocean Services Ltd, I gather a subsidiary of the Canadian Pacific Railroad Company (both are listed in different references). Gross tonnage was 14,189 tons. Launched November 1905, completed fitting out April 1906. Passenger/Cargo ship, twin screw, capable of 18 knots.

Mike

Mike,

That is great additional information. Thank you for that. Do you happen to know any specific dates of when the Empress of Britain was in Bombay?  My grandfather was on the Hospital Ship VITA and I know generally the dates that the VITA was in Bombay between November 1916 to May 1917, and precise dates after June 1917 so I would be interested to try to triangulate when the photo might have been taken.

Peter

Sorry Peter, no I don't have the voyage dates, but I suspect others with a better knowledge of the UK National Archives can point you at where you might find the relevant voyage files for the Empress of Britain, if they still exist. 

Mike

I have a feeling that the right place for those may in fact be Southampton, but don't quote me. I'll look around later this evening.

51 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I have a feeling that the right place for those may in fact be Southampton, but don't quote me. I'll look around later this evening.

Thank You