Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Josef Wagner 16 8 17 Langemarck identification??

wulsten

Can anyone identity if Josef Wagner has a known grave possibly langemarck, I've tried volksbund but my limited knowledge of German units etc draws a blank, even to identify him on volksbund would help, anything appreciated 

Geoff 

_20190113_120157.JPG

There's only one Joseph Wagner from Wetzlarn in the Verlustliste, he's in the issue of 1st november 1917.

A bit late if he died on the 16th august but not impossible.

But the Verlustliste gives a date of birth of 27 June, which would not tally with his age of "34 years and 5 months"

There is a Joseph Wagner buried in Langemark, with a deathdate of 21 september 1917 (probably the same person as on the Verlustliste of 1st November.?)

Looks like this Josef Wagner doesn't have a known grave.

Josef Wagner from Wetzlarn was indeed born on 27 June 1883 and was killed on 16 August 1917 near Langemark. He has no known grave.

Jan

As he was from Bavaria he should probably have served with a Bavarian unit. Other than for Prussia the Stammrollen (the list for the military units in which the "careers" of the soldiers can be traced, have survived and are accessible through Ancestry (unfortunately only if you have a more or less costly subscription). But maybe someone from the forum can try and locate him for you?

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Yes, there is. But there is no grave mentioned, so the body could most probably not be taken back from the front line.

Edited by AOK4

Cheers for info, so basically he is identified on ancestry? and likelihood of no known grave, which if I'm correct he has no current commemoration on the volksbund site, I have emailed them before and received reply so may be worth contact? 

Edited by wulsten

wulsten,

They will add him to the website and his name will be on a new plaque at the Kameradengrab in Langemark when they put up a new one there (they have added already a few panels recently). Whether he is really buried there is a totally different matter.

Jan

Thanks for the help Jan, very much appreciated, will contact them, think important to remember if only unknown on the volksbund register.

Incidentally does the info you have record a unit he served in to forward,

Geoff 

Edited by wulsten

• 4 months later...