Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How strict were rules for convalescent officers?

Madmeg

On 09/08/2019 at 11:23, Madmeg said:

Poor quality draft only but you can see the crest etc. I had to take two separate shots and join them so sorry for the glitch in the middle, not to mention reflection off the glass.

My GF is the observer in army uniform seated to the furthest left on bottom step.

there were two photos the other is more formally posed and doesn't contain the nurse. This is the one he chose to have framed so I guess it was his favourite. I'm really quite chuffed to have finally worked out (ok ok read the flipping label) where it was.

hillingtonhall RFCdraft.jpg

YAY! the photo on the BNA site from the Tatler 24th October 1917 is a third shot of this same group and gives names for them all! (plus dog) and also includes the Hon Mrs John Dawnay commandant (sic) who doesnt appear in my two photos. Which answers the "who owned the place" question raised above nicely..

I'm going to start a new thread on this photo and name all the men which is what I have been hoping to do for a couple of years now- mission finally accomplished.

Great news :)

That Wikipedia piece on the third baronet notes that " His only daughter married John Dawnay, 9th Viscount Downe, and had issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_ffolkes,_3rd_Baronet

The peerage site has a bit more on her http://www.thepeerage.com/p2938.htm#i29379

Despite her nurses uniform, Dorothy Dawnay isn't listed on the Red Cross website nor is there a Medal Index Card for her. She and her husband may not have owned Hillington Hall, that was probably the 4th baronet, but she may well have managed it. The 1915 Electoral Register for Norfolk doesn't show anyone resident at the Hall with any kind of voting rights. However the Hon. Dorothy Dawney, resident, Ruston, Wykeham, Yorkshire, was entitled to vote in County Council and Civil Parish elections as she owned land and plantations "near the hall".

(There were no electoral registers anywhere in the UK for 1916 & 1917).

Of course her late father may have left the Hall to her and the estate may have not yet been settled, or it could then still have been left for the benefit of his widow Emily Charlotte Ffolkes, who then subsequentlydied at the end of 1915. Dependant on the terms of the will Emily Charlotte may not have had any voting rights in 1915, or may not have chosen to take them up, hence why no-one appears on the electoral register.

Cheers,

Peter

On 10/08/2019 at 22:34, PRC said:

That Wikipedia piece on the third baronet notes that " His only daughter married John Dawnay, 9th Viscount Downe, and had issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_ffolkes,_3rd_Baronet

The peerage site has a bit more on her http://www.thepeerage.com/p2938.htm#i29379

Despite her nurses uniform, Dorothy Dawnay isn't listed on the Red Cross website nor is there a Medal Index Card for her. She and her husband may not have owned Hillington Hall, that was probably the 4th baronet, but she may well have managed it. The 1915 Electoral Register for Norfolk doesn't show anyone resident at the Hall with any kind of voting rights. However the Hon. Dorothy Dawney, resident, Ruston, Wykeham, Yorkshire, was entitled to vote in County Council and Civil Parish elections as she owned land and plantations "near the hall".

(There were no electoral registers anywhere in the UK for 1916 & 1917).

Of course her late father may have left the Hall to her and the estate may have not yet been settled, or it could then still have been left for the benefit of his widow Emily Charlotte Ffolkes, who then subsequentlydied at the end of 1915. Dependant on the terms of the will Emily Charlotte may not have had any voting rights in 1915, or may not have chosen to take them up, hence why no-one appears on the electoral register.

Cheers,

Peter

She isn't the nurse- the matron is MA Jobson (ref my other posting ) , Mrs John Dawney is not in my GF photo above but appears in the shot in the Tatler as "Commandant"  seated right in the middle. I found a  ref somewhere to her making Hillington hall over as a Hospital for the duration. 

Sir William and lady Ffolkes were entertaining the King there in 1906

Lord Downe is noted as the owner in 1930 with a daughter Ruth.

Viscount and Vicountess Downe in 1941 

(Trove nla)

There is a puff piece on Mrs Dawnay  The Tatler 12/2/13 which I can only see the first lines of, but mentions Hillington hall

Sir William d 1912

(BNA)