Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ronan McGreevy

Hi everyone, 

My name is Ronan McGreevy. I am the author of the book Wherever the Firing Line Extends: Ireland and the Western Front. 

I have been commissioned by the National University of Ireland (the governing body for the universities of UCD, UCC, NUI Galway and University of Maynooth) to write biographies of some of their graduates who fought in the war. 

In 1919 the NUI brought out a roll of honour of 1,200 of its students, graduates and staff who served in the war. This year they will be republishing the list in book form. 

I have found the cumulative wisdom on this forum extremely helpful especially for the more arcane details. 

I may be calling on you again over the coming months. 

If you know of a graduate who served in the war and think he is worthy of profiling in the book let me know. 

In the meantime, I am looking for more details about this chap who sounds interesting, but I have no more information than this. 

Regards, 

Ronan 

Neligan, James, Lt, R. A. M. C.

Neligan, John. (Kerry). Rank- Captain. Regiment/Service;- Royal Army Medical Corps. Unit;- 9th Hospital Train. Date of death;- 13/06/1917. Age;- 28, DOB 07/04/1888. Born: Workhouse, Dingle, County Kerry. Residence;- Dingle, County Kerry-Probate. Death;- Died.

Next of kin, etc;- Mentioned in Despatches. Son of Maurice (Chief Resident Officer, Dingle Workhouse) and Bridget (Nee Burke) and Mrs. Maurice Neligan, of Strand, Dingle, Co. Kerry. M. B. (N. U. Ireland).

Newspapers/Books etc;- Irish Independent; Neligan-In sad and loving memory of John Neligan, Captain, RAMC., son of Mr and Mrs Neligan, Strand, Dingle, who died on active service in Egypt, June 13, 1917, Sweet Jesus, have mercy on him.

Notes- Probate granted at Cork to Maurice Neligan, Master of Workhouse.

Grave/Memorial;- N 2. Cemetery;- Port Said War Memorial Cemetery, Egypt.