Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

william Chapman MiD query

chaz

one of my pairs is to Pte William Chapman, his victory medal has a Mid oak leaf on. trying to find a reference why he got mentioned. his Medal roll is Royal Fusiliers, medals are ASC

originally he was RASC R4/062580 his roll also states

21 Northumberland Fusiliers 32026

16 Northumberland Fusiliers

1/4 Northumberland Fusiliers

3 Royal Fusiliers GS/96468

cant see any papers either so another anonymous.

Have you confirmed the mid in the London gazette ? That will give you a starting place as to who he was with 

There is no note on his medal index card regarding the issue of "emblems", i.e. the oakleaf, as would be expected for someone who was MID.

There is no listing for him in Michael Maton's three volume set of Mentions in Despatches in the London Gazette 1914 - 1922 under any of the service numbers or Regiments and Corps mentioned in the OP. 

thanks for the replies, I dont seem to have much luck looking through the Gazette.

the oak leaf looks period so would think its been there since issue, just cant find much out about him

3 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Might he have been entitled under a unit citation (or am I just making that up)?

Certainly not to wear a mid emblem for a units action (s)

Can't find in gazette either

Could be he was a B list awardee and wore emblem erroneously. You d need to search  The Times to confirm,  and that's not easy or quick

23 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

Might he have been entitled under a unit citation (or am I just making that up)?

No, you are perhaps confusing the practice of foreign armies where a decoration or a unit citation is awarded to a unit or formation?  As the Devonshire Regiment and 5 (Gibraltar) Bty RA were in the Great War with the Croix de Guerre or the Glosters were in Korea, with a unit commendation.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, BullerTurner said:

No, you are perhaps confusing the practice of foreign armies where a decoration or a unit citation is awarded to a unit or formation?  As the Devonshire Regiment and 5 (Gibraltar) Bty RA were in the Great War with the Croix de Guerre or the Glosters were in Korea, with a unit commendation.

Thank you.

I thought I had read somewhere that when a "unit" was awarded a MID that a certain number of NCOs and/or ORs were entitled to display the emblem. Is that what Coldstreamer refers to as a "B awardee"?

Could just be all a poor recollection perhaps!

Regards

David

never heard that the British Army did this  - only others (as mentioned above)

No a B award is for (i understand) service at home but was not gazetted and no emblem was to be worn

Ill try and dig up an example

Edited by Coldstreamer
typo

b list.jpg

Dear Coldstreamer,

That is an interesting "Times" clipping.

Could such people be regarded as on the B list?

Kindest regards,

Kim.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Coldstreamer said:

never heard that the British Army did this  - only others (as mentioned above)

No a B award is for (i understand) service at home but was not gazetted and no emblem was to be worn

Ill try and dig up an example

1 hour ago, Coldstreamer said:

b list.jpg

Thank you!