Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

An Intrguiging Mystery of Indentity due to Amnesia

AndrewFrench

I see that Beauchamp St intersects Leather Lane Holborn.

I am still thinking the boys home on  Beauchamp might be a link to further explore.

Tew - where did you find information about that boys home?

It is also possible to reach the Chelsea Pensioners records via Ancestry, but they are held by Ancestry's Fold3 subsidiary for which an additional subscription is required - go figure why ...  $$$$s!

Ah, not quite. Fold3 have UK, WWI Pension Ledgers and Index Cards, 1914-1923. These are not Chelsea records.

The Boys' Home comes from 1911 census at No. 11 Beachamp, no No. 12 on the 1911 Census.

TEW

Edited.

Can't provide direct link from library but HOH is Edward Stoner.

Registration district-Holborn

Registration District Number- 14

Sub-registration district - Holborn

ED, institution, or vessel - 7

Piece - 1203

Page 328 of 773.

Just noticed a James Hornblower as Inmate

Edited by TEW
additional

Ahh James Hornblower as inmate. That IS interesting ! ! There was a market close by, and just around the corner on Gray’s Inn Rd was Holborn Workhouse.

It will have to wait for tomorrow - too late for me tonight.

Edited by Neale1961

41 minutes ago, Neale1961 said:

Ahh James Hornblower as inmate. That IS interesting ! ! There was a market close by, and just around the corner on Gray’s Inn Rd was Holborn Workhouse.

It will have to wait for tomorrow - too late for me tonight.

Very interesting indeed!

There was - and still is - a very famous street market in Leather Lane, as well as Brook's Market adjacent to Beauchamp Street.

699303338_HOLBORN-LeatherLanemap1896wider-WKG-Copy.jpg.5cb9b1172b44fd65d789bfe2049f445b.jpg

11 Beauchamp St, Leather Lane, EC, is the St Giles Christian Mission Boys' Home.  There are 10 young men "Inmates" living there between the ages of 17 and 25.  A Wm Wheatley signed the form but he doesn't appear to be living there.

James Hornblower is aged 20 a Warehouseman at a Stationers and born in Poplar.

Still looking for further details of him.

8 minutes ago, Susan Tall said:

11 Beauchamp St, Leather Lane, EC, is the St Giles Christian Mission Boys' Home.  There are 10 young men "Inmates" living there between the ages of 17 and 25.  A Wm Wheatley signed the form but he doesn't appear to be living there.

James Hornblower is aged 20 a Warehouseman at a Stationers and born in Poplar.

Still looking for further details of him.

From the historic timeline on the St Giles'' Christian Mission (now in Islington) website ...

Area of great need
The Mission Hall, Neal Street, Seven Dials is established as St Giles' Christian Mission (SGCM) headquarters. Donations are given to the poor e.g. bread, meat, coal and dinners. Services are held in the open air and in lodging houses. SGCM becomes independent from Bloomsbury Baptist Church.

Home
Two reception homes are established: one for boys who are first time offenders, a second for homeless girls in the Holborn area. By 1897, there are 110 children across 5 homes.

Mr Wheatley
Mr William Wheatley is appointed as a Probation Officer, and a new home is opened to accommodate 80 boys.

Consolidation
A number of boys homes and the hostel for destitute women close due to the fall in numbers and finances following the First World War.

The Seven Dials/Neal Street/Drury Lane area is about 1 mile SW from Beauchamp St., but it is clear the Mission had a presence in Holborn too.

St Giles' Boys' Home seems to be at 11 Beauchamp Street, not No 12, e.g. in the 1910 Trade Directory and the 1911 Census ...

1281919245_HOLBORN-BeauchampSt191001.jpg.edd9f66b89e8f754fa67d48af29c56bd.jpg1914606735_HOLBORN-BeauchampSt191002.jpg.d237d8dd359881e811a397c522cf1c74.jpg

Note however that the 1911 Census lists No 11 as having six rooms; that there is no entry for No 12 Beauchamp St; and the other residential properties in Beauchamp Street are listed with one room.  It does seem plausible that the Boys' Home included the property next door at No 12.

These further notes from the London Metropolitan Archive on the St Giles' Christian Mission may be useful ...

In 1860 the Saint Giles Christian Mission was founded by George Hatton, a member of the Bloomsbury Baptist Chapel. Originally called 'The Young Men's Society for the Relief of the Poor' and funded with help from the Bloomsbury Baptists, their object was to evangelise the district known as the Seven-Dials.

Although their start was slow and difficult, in spite of the evangelical revival in the City, the persistence of the young men paid off and the original premises quickly became too small for the growing congregation.

They achieved great success in work within the neighbourhood, undertaking home visits, teaching on thrift and temperance and assisting with gifts of bread, meat and coal bought with money raised from subscriptions.

By 1867 the Mission became independent from the Bloomsbury Chapel and continued its work at The King Street Hall Chapel until 1874, when one of the Deacons of the Chapel informed Mr Hatton… that there was work to be done in Wild Street.

The chapel in Wild Street was in a bad way and the Deacon thought it would be well - as Mr Hatton was carrying on good work - to take over the chapel and carry on his work there. The property was conveyed to the Mission and after a successful fund raising, enough money was found to put the chapel into good use.

During this time another young man, William Morter Wheatley saw George Hatton preaching and was drawn to the work of the Mission after finding his own personal salvation at the meeting.

He threw himself whole heartedly into his work and was instrumental in starting the probation work which The Mission came to be known for.

In 1877, what was known as Prison Gate work was started. The Mission set up huts outside Holloway, Pentonville and Wandsworth Prisons where newly discharged prisoners were offered breakfast and assistance often in the form of travel money to get home, clothing, and assistance with employment, as well as encouragement to take the temperance pledge. This work was highly commended by the press and helped spread the reputation of The Mission work as well as boosting funds and subscriptions.

Work among first time offenders continued with the opening of a series of hostels and homes between 1880's and 1900. These catered for young offenders who were encouraged and supported to find work or enter the armed services.

As well as homes for young men and boys, The Mission opened homes for homeless and destitute women, particularly around the Seven Dials, Drury Lane area of London.

There seems to have been another St Giles' Christian Mission Boys' Home around the corner at 15-16 Brooke Street.  It is listed in the 1910 Trade Directory as St Giles' Christian Mission (office & boys' home)  Wm. Wheatley, genl. supt. [general superintendent].

There's also a reference in The Times Christmas Day 1906.

The entry for 15-16 Brooke St in the 1911 Census is signed by William Wheatley with a skeleton staff and the annotation "Home removed to new premises in Kingsway" (this was in Wild Street, off Kingsway, about three-quarters of a mile to the SW).

I've also turned up this touching vignette from The Times, Boxing Day 1904 ...

901987593_HOLBORN-StGilesBoysHomeTheTimes26Dec1904p.6.jpg.60f1b1c120c106f5e9f4b74d13162dae.jpg

© Times Newspapers Limited

Edited by MBrockway

This is fascinating stuff.  I'm wondering if William George's father, Samuel Robert Hubbard, benefitted from the help they gave prisoners on their release. He is in Holloway on the 1881 census but seems to have gone straight from then on.

Apparently the homes became known as the Christian Mission and Wheatley Homes later on.  Mr Wheatley was obviously very influential. I've been looking at the annual reports of the Christian Mission in local newspapers and the numbers of people they were helping was phenomenal.  Would love to know just how William George fits into all this (if at all) - he's got to be somewhere in 1911.

4 hours ago, Susan Tall said:

Would love to know just how William George fits into all this (if at all) - he's got to be somewhere in 1911.

William George HUBBARD enlisted into the Special Reserve on 18 May 1911 joining 5th (Reserve) Bn., Middlesex Regiment at Mill Hill.  He did his compulsory 120 days (6 months) military training with them.  If he had stayed in the Special Reserve he would then have returned to civvy street with an obligation to attend 5/Middlesex's annual camp and other training totalling 3-4 weeks per annum for the remainder of his six years in the SR.

However immediately on completing his initial training he chose instead to leave the Special Reserve and enlist as a Regular into 2nd Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment [properly "Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment)"] on 04 Sep 1911.  It was not unusual to follow this route into the full-time Army via the SR - if the six months training didn't suit you, the prospect of only 3-4 weeks p.a. further military commitment till you'd done your six years was less daunting than the six and half years full time you'd then be facing if you'd gone straight in as a Regular.

He would have signed up for 7 years full time service with the colours, to be followed by another 5 in the Army Reserve, however he was medically discharged from 2/Yorks on 15 Nov 1912.

At this time 2/Yorks were at BLACKDOWN CAMP in Surrey, near FARNBOROUGH.  He is likely to have also spent some time in military hospitals in the same area.

Grocer Hornblower's character reference suggests Hubbard had been working for him as a grocer's assistant until 01 May 1911 when he left to become a soldier.  It looks like Hornblower employed him for 3 years before then and took him on with a 4 year reference from his previous employer.

I'd say we can be reasonably confident he was working in the Leather Lane area and living in Beauchamp Street until May 1911, then at Mill Hill with 5/Middlesex, then from Sep at Blackdown with 2/Yorks.

Brockway Thanks - That is a really good and helpful outline of William in 1911.

Suggested earlier timeline:

1901 Census the Hubbard family all together at 32 Sheridan St, St George East

Dec 1901 Father Robert S Hubbard dies at 32 Sheridan St.

July 1902 Mother Elizabeth Maria dies  (in hospital)

I think the family stay in the same area with Matilda (a cigar maker) left to care for siblings William and Mary Beatrice.

Aug 1905 sister Matilda Alice marries from 12 Sheridan St, St George East.

After Matilda’s marriage she can no longer care for her siblings full time. Sometime about 1906 William gets help from the St Giles Christian Mission and is in the area around Leather Lane / Beauchamp St where he gets employment as an assistant /carman /delivery boy with Hornblower (who might have run a stall in the nearby market, rather than owning premises). Or maybe Hornblower and Hubbard  just embellished the truth on the reference – not the first time this has ever been done!

June 1910 we find William in Bromley Workhouse, so he may not have had a permanent home, living rough sometimes or with his uncle Arthur at other times, until Uncle Arthur could no longer manage.

I think this 1911 census (suggested by Madmeg) for William is a good possibility:-

20 Little Street, Andrews St, St Martin’s Lane (St Giles in the Fields). He is working as a kitchen porter in a dining room. This is only 1 mile from Beauchamp St, and next door to the dining room is a military tailor. I suggest this was where William was working – maybe not where he was living though. His age on this census is 19 years, suggesting a birth of 1892. He gives his age as 18 & 4 months when he enlists in May 1911 in the Middlesex Regiment.

Why the wrong dates of birth? He was born in 1887. Did he even know his real DOB? Was the “lunacy” effecting him, or was he confused with birth dates of his cousins? He was a very small man at just over 5 feet and around 52 kg so looked much younger than he was.

Edited by Neale1961

Hi Brockway,

Thanks for that super summary about William Hubbard around the 1911 time frame.  It certainly looks as if he was living in the Leather Lane/Beauchamp Street area.  He must have been keen on army life to sign up for 7 years full time service.  Pity he didn't last very long.

Thank you Neale for the earlier timeline. I think this also adds up. He probably didn't know just what year he was born although I did wonder if he was living at the boys' home what the age regulations were.  Did he make himself younger to get a place there when he left the Army.

Of course now we have to work out the change of name to Abbott bit!! Not certain we'll ever get to the bottom of that.

Must go, my birthday today and I've the most tremendous cough and cold so haven't felt like celebrating, but I did just find a bottle of brandy at the back of the cupboard so will pour some out.  (purely medicinal of course!)

Sue

On 20/02/2019 at 21:43, MBrockway said:

William George HUBBARD enlisted into the Special Reserve on 18 May 1911 joining 5th (Reserve) Bn., Middlesex Regiment at Mill Hill.  He did his compulsory 120 days (6 months) military training with them.  If he had stayed in the Special Reserve he would then have returned to civvy street with an obligation to attend 5/Middlesex's annual camp and other training totalling 3-4 weeks per annum for the remainder of his six years in the SR.

However immediately on completing his initial training he chose instead to leave the Special Reserve and enlist as a Regular into 2nd Battalion, Yorkshire Regiment [properly "Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Yorkshire Regiment)"] on 04 Sep 1911.  It was not unusual to follow this route into the full-time Army via the SR - if the six months training didn't suit you, the prospect of only 3-4 weeks p.a. further military commitment till you'd done your six years was less daunting than the six and half years full time you'd then be facing if you'd gone straight in as a Regular.

He would have signed up for 7 years full time service with the colours, to be followed by another 5 in the Army Reserve, however he was medically discharged from 2/Yorks on 15 Nov 1912.

As an example of the career of a man who remained in the Special Reserve after his initial training, here's the service of a rifleman in 6th Bn., The Rifle Brigade.

This was the Special Reserve battalion of the RB.  They were at Woolwich in 1911 and moved to Winchester in autumn 1913.

This man had his initial six months training split into two: 5 months of drill, a short 6 week gap, then the recruits musketry course for a further month making up the six month total.  This was probably due to availability of range time.

He then attended annual training for the next three years.  These were usually four week camps - 6/KRRC (also SR and also at Woolwich) had their 1911 camp at Chatham for four weeks starting 15 May.

This man was then mobilized at the start of the war.

William Hubbard's Special Reserve service with 5/Middlesex would have been similar had he not chosen instead to enlist into 2/Yorks as a full time Regular

MIUK1914A_087148-00108.jpg.5fde624c355e6

Image courtesy of Pal stiletto_33853

HTH

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

I have come across some interesting information which slightly changes my thoughts on William’s life after the death of his parents and before enlisting in 1911.

William’s younger sister Mary Beatrice (born1889) was part of the scheme run by Barnardo’s Homes which sent children to Canada. She was sent on 29 April 1903 on board “Kensington” with a large group of girls to Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. In 1910 she was married and had a child in Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada.

So it appears that Matilda Alice was not looking after her siblings after the parents’ death. It seems highly likely that William was also taken in by the Barnardo’s organisation in late 1902 -1903. There was a large Barnardos boys home for Working and Destitute Boys at Stepney Causeway (Ratcliff parish).  In 1890, Stepney Causeway was described as "a large industrial voluntary home, providing maintenance, education and practical instruction in technical handicrafts to boys over 13 years of age". Workshops provided industrial training including tailoring, shoemaking, carpentry, brush-making, engineering, blacksmithing, tin-smithing, mat-making, wheel-making, harness-making and printing. Also Barnardo’s children, where possible, were boarded out (fostered) to families.  I am now thinking William moved on to St Giles Mission area later on, after spending some time at a Barnardos home.

(Aunt Tory: If my hunch is correct - it might be possible to find records for William through the Barnado’s Organisation. See their web site.)

5 hours ago, Neale1961 said:

I have come across some interesting information which slightly changes my thoughts on William’s life after the death of his parents and before enlisting in 1911.

William’s younger sister Mary Beatrice (born1889) was part of the scheme run by Barnardo’s Homes which sent children to Canada. She was sent on 29 April 1903 on board “Kensington” with a large group of girls to Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. In 1910 she was married and had a child in Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada.

So it appears that Matilda Alice was not looking after her siblings after the parents’ death. It seems highly likely that William was also taken in by the Barnardo’s organisation in late 1902 -1903. There was a large Barnardos boys home for Working and Destitute Boys at Stepney Causeway (Ratcliff parish).  In 1890, Stepney Causeway was described as "a large industrial voluntary home, providing maintenance, education and practical instruction in technical handicrafts to boys over 13 years of age". Workshops provided industrial training including tailoring, shoemaking, carpentry, brush-making, engineering, blacksmithing, tin-smithing, mat-making, wheel-making, harness-making and printing. Also Barnardo’s children, where possible, were boarded out (fostered) to families.  I am now thinking William moved on to St Giles Mission area later on, after spending some time at a Barnardos home.

(Aunt Tory: If my hunch is correct - it might be possible to find records for William through the Barnado’s Organisation. See their web site.)

The Boys' Home in Stepney Causeway is approx 100yds from Brunswick Place ...

2073158775_STEPNEYBrunswickPlace(1896)C1.jpg.dc7d41040b79d342c2f8c49fc7075afd.jpg

Here are links to the start pages for the 1911 Census entries for the Barnardo's establishments on Stepney Causeway ...

6-30 Stepney Causeway - Dr Barnardo's Homes

13-19 Stepney Causeway - Her Majesty's Hospital for Sick Children (Dr Barnardo's)

I haven't searched them myself.

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

Probably unconnected, but I note on the 1911 Census there is a Charles Hornblower, 18yrs, born Limehouse, inmate at the Central (Reds) Shoeblack Society at 28 Great Saffron Hill.

Census page here on Ancestry (subscription required)

This is on the NE corner of the crossroads where Great Saffron Hill and Charles Street (aka Greville Street) meet, nearly opposite the surviving One Tun pub.

It's approx 200yds from Beauchamp Street/Leather Lane.

The Shoeblack Societies developed from the Ragged Schools.  They provided lodging for destitute boys and equipment for them to work as street shoeblacks.

More info ...

Shoeblack Societies

Central (Reds) Shoeblack Society, Saffron Hill

Victorian London - Professions and Trades - Service Industry/ General - Shoeblacks

Could Charles Hornblower be related to James Hornblower, 20yrs, born Poplar, living 200yds away in the St Giles' Christian Mission Boys' Home in Beauchamp Street?

Limehouse and Poplar are adjacent with Limehouse immediately to the east of Ratcliff.

Mark

2 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Here are links to the start pages for the 1911 Census entries for the Barnardo's establishments on Stepney Causeway ...

There are no Hubbards that I can find there in the census, however the boys 'inmates' are aged between 13 and 17 years, with only a very few 18-19. 

In comparison the boys at St Giles Mission Beauchamp St are aged 17 to 25. Rather than providing long term care, I know Barnardo's homes encouraged the inmates to move on fairly quickly either into a paid job where they could care for themselves, or they were boarded out.

What if St Giles Mission took on young men from Barnardo's homes (as a half way house) before they were fully able to manage on their own?  

The perceived age "limits" within these charities may have been the reason for William to change his date of birth - as Susan suggests.

2 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Probably unconnected, but I note on the 1911 Census there is a Charles Hornblower, 18yrs, born Limehouse, inmate at the Central (Reds) Shoeblack Society at 28 Great Saffron Hill.

Census page here on Ancestry (subscription required)

This is on the NE corner of the crossroads where Great Saffron Hill and Charles Street (aka Greville Street) meet, nearly opposite the surviving One Tun pub.

It's approx 200yds from Beauchamp Street/Leather Lane.

The Shoeblack Societies developed from the Ragged Schools.  They provided lodging for destitute boys and equipment for them to work as street shoeblacks.

More info ...

Shoeblack Societies

Central (Reds) Shoeblack Society, Saffron Hill

Victorian London - Professions and Trades - Service Industry/ General - Shoeblacks

Could Charles Hornblower be related to James Hornblower, 20yrs, born Poplar, living 200yds away in the St Giles' Christian Mission Boys' Home in Beauchamp Street?

Limehouse and Poplar are adjacent with Limehouse immediately to the east of Ratcliff.

Mark

Charles Hornblower of the Shoeblack society was born in the June quarter of 1893 registration district Stepney.  He was baptised at Limehouse St Peters in the borough of Tower Hamlets on 21 May 1893, parents John George & Susannah Jane Hornblower of 7 Tenbury Place, Jamaica Place and his father was a Tank Maker.  He had an older brother baptised the same day - John George whose birth was registered June quarter 1891 Poplar. Could he be the James Hornblower in St Giles home?

I'd seen this family on a census but dismissed John George the Tank Maker as the Mr Hornblower giving a reference for William Hubbard.  Thinking about it the signature on the form he filled in does look as if it could be a "J", but of course it might have been John George born 1891 giving the reference.  Off to see if I can find a James Hubbard.

Just found a James Richard Hornblower son of John James & Maria Hornblower baptised 26 Feb 1893 at Limehouse St Peters.  Father a carpenter.  His birth was registered in the March qtr 1893, Stepney.

1 hour ago, Susan Tall said:

Charles Hornblower of the Shoeblack society was born in the June quarter of 1893 registration district Stepney.  He was baptised at Limehouse St Peters in the borough of Tower Hamlets on 21 May 1893, parents John George & Susannah Jane Hornblower of 7 Tenbury Place, Jamaica Place and his father was a Tank Maker.  He had an older brother baptised the same day - John George whose birth was registered June quarter 1891 Poplar. Could he be the James Hornblower in St Giles home?

Jamaica Place is now known as Beccles Street, but its south end has been lost to redevelopment.

Tenbury Place was a short side street approximately on the site of modern Roche House: https://goo.gl/maps/wwyFeqBPLPq

1896 and current side-by-side: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=19&lat=51.5108&lon=-0.0284&layers=163&right=9

It's about 1,100 yds east of Brunswick Place and Stepney Causeway; 4 miles east of Leather Lane.

It only became part of Tower Hamlets after 1965 when the Metropolitan Boroughs of Stepney, Poplar and Bethnal Green were merged to become the new Tower Hamlets MB.  Prior to then, it was in Poplar MB.

Edited by MBrockway

Not sure if I'm duplicating things here, apologies if so.

Robert Samuel Hubbard & Elizabeth Maria Poole married 2/4/1876.

First child baptised as Elizabeth Maria Hubbard (different on GRO) 1/10/1876. Which means Elizabeth was 3 months pregnant at the altar.

Then you have a ten year gap for the next child Matilda followed the next year by William and Mary 2 years after him.

Looking at the Poole family addresses via censuses/baptisms they are pretty much neighbours to the Hubbards.

Mark's map in post #131 has some of the Poole addresses;

1861 Lower Fenton St, off Anthony St.

1871 Morris St, SE corner of Mark's map, across road from Sheridan St.

1881 Sage St, not found yet

Others from Baptisms; Ann St, Fenton St, Star St, Upper Chapman St.

No one's actually seen the GRO certs for the girls registered as Abbotts but baptised as Hubbards.

Are Robert and Elizabeth both down as Abbott or Hubbard?

Is Robert down as the father (especially for 1st child Elizabeth)?

Susan found Robert Samuel Abbott on the electoral roll for 1888 at 30 Haydon St. 1889 Robert Hubbard is at 38 Haydon St.

Are we 100% sure the Robert with prison record is the right man?

TEW

ROBERT SAMUEL HUBBARD Born 1856; Baptised 30 Oct 1859 at St Pauls Bow Common.

Robert’s Parents: Anna nee MARTIN and John Jealous HUBBARD (Optician, Nautical Instrument Maker) – the son of a licensed Publican, Jacob Hubbard who ran pubs in Shoreditch and Wapping Wall

·     1861 Census - Robert is living with parents and siblings, Stepney

·     1871 Census - Robert is living with parents and siblings, St. Dunstans

·     July 1874 Criminal Activity at Clerkenwell – details unknown

·     20 Sept 1875 (trial date) Robert HUBBARD (age 17) - Animal theft of 2 cows. Found not guilty. 

·     2 April 1876 marriage to Elizabeth Maria POOLE

·     28 Aug 1876 birth of child: Elizabeth Maria / Theresa HUBBARD

·     (21 Oct 1876 wife Elizabeth Hubbard and baby daughter Elizabeth – admission to Infirmary of Raine St Workhouse, Stepney “destitute”; Discharge 9 Nov 1876)

·     25 June 1877 (trial date): Robert HUBBARD (age 20) - Stealing 1 1/2 cwt of fat, from the slaughter yard of Solomon Horwitz. Also on trial for same offence were Alfred MURRAY (22) & George CASTLE (20)Verdict GUILTY— Murray and Hubbard were further charged with a previous conviction at Clerkenwell in July1874, to which they pleaded guilty  Twelve Months' Imprisonment each.

·     26 May 1879 (trial date): Robert HUBBARD (age 22) pleaded GUILTY to stealing 201b. of beef, the goods of Solomon de Leeuw, having been previously convicted of felony -Two Years Imprisonment.

·     1881 Census: Prisoner at Holloway Prison - Robert HUBBARD – 22 years – cattle drover.

·     17 Jan 1883: Robert HUBBARD in Bromley Workhouse Stepney – discharged to sick asylum Limehouse.

·     Around this time comes a name change to ABBOTT *

·     1885, 1887, 1889 – births of three children (Matilda A, William G, Mary B) Daughters births are registered under the name ABBOTT but baptised as HUBBARD.

·     1888 London Electoral Register ROBERT SAMUEL ABBOTT – 30 Haydon St, Whitechapel.

·     1901 Census – name reverts to HUBBARD - living Sheridan St Stepney

·     December 1901 dies as Robert Hubbard at Sheridan St Stepney.

* Reasons for the name change : 

1.    To make a fresh start after a decade of criminal activity ?

2.    Because there was a police Inspector named Robert Hubbard – often called as witness at Old Bailey during the 1860s and 1870s ?

3.    Was Robert born an ABBOTT, but adopted by and baptised as HUBBARD ? – can’t find any evidence -  still looking.

Neale,

Thanks again for another brilliant summing up.  Thought you would like to see this court report for September 1875 when Robert Hubbard was found not guilty.  It didn't stop him committing more crimes though.  

Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper Sunday 12th September 1875

Daring Robbery of Cows

"Yesterday at the Ilford Petty sessions Robert Hubbard a labourer and Benjamin Woodcock a licensed drover were charged with stealing two cows, value 24/- from a field at Plaistow. It appeared that on May 6th, the prisoner Hubbard drove the cows from the field to the World's End tavern Stepney and delivered them to Woodcock who gave him 3/-.  Mr John Saul of 23 Mark's St, Whitechapel, a buyer to a meat seller, stated that on May 7th he bought the cows off a man he did not known for 18/-. He did not know the address of the man and did not take a receipt for the money. Saul subsequently sold the cows for 22/- to a cow keeper at Tottenham at the same time recommending Wilson, the cow keeper, to kill the animals at once. Wilson, however, gave information to the police and before he paid for the cows the robbery was discovered. The prisoners were apprehended on September 1st at Deptford cattle market. Both prisoners were remanded for trial."

11 hours ago, TEW said:

Looking at the Poole family addresses via censuses/baptisms they are pretty much neighbours to the Hubbards.

1881 Sage St, not found yet

TEW

Sage Street heads south from Cable Street about 300yds east of where the S end of Anthony Street meets Cable Street.

Modern Sage Street meets Cable St at the same point, but then turns east of the original line of the street.

See:https://goo.gl/maps/PhmwVStgqru

Mark