Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

George Rayner

KRRC and CLB

George Rayner

Please can you clarify...

while researching local Fallen and Returning I came across this reference in a local newspaper dated 12th February 1915.

image.png.a99ea02b1bb1b8d428113de3f9e2eb04.png

It refers to training at Denham: is this Denham in Suffolk which is what I thought I was looking at or Denham Buckinghamshire which I have seen mentioned elsewhere?

Another report also mentions a visit by the Archbishop of Canterbury!

Also any info on CLB would be interesting as would a source document on story of KRRC I could refer to.

Thank you all for your help

George

Edited by George Rayner

Steven Broomfield

Church Lads Brigade battalion of the King's Royal Rifle Corps - a battalion of the KRRC raised from ex-members of the CLB. 16th Battalion, if memory serves.

George Rayner

Thank you. That's a good starting point for research.

Steven Broomfield

If you use the Forum search facility, I'm pretty sure there are threads about the CLB battalion.

MBrockway
On 12/01/2019 at 13:13, Steven Broomfield said:

If you use the Forum search facility, I'm pretty sure there are threads about the CLB battalion.

There is a vast amount of material on the CLB here on the forum, a good deal of which also covers 16/KRRC - my grandfather's battalion.

16/KRRC were raised at Denham, Bucks., not either of the Denhams in Suffolk.

16/KRRC did however spend some time at Rayleigh, Essex, before going overseas.

If you are tempted by The Church Lads' Brigade in the Great War - The 16th (Service) Battalion The Kings' Royal Rifle Corps, a 2015 book by Jean Morris purporting to be a battalion history of 16/KRRC, resist: it is terrible!  Worse, it includes a number of factual errors.  How exactly a chapter on the naval war is relevant is just one of its mysteries!

Jean Morris is NOT Jan Morris of Everest 1953 fame.

What is your specific interest in 16/KRRC and the CLB?

Mark

On 12/01/2019 at 08:23, George Rayner said:

Please can you clarify...

while researching local Fallen and Returning I came across this reference in a local newspaper dated 12th February 1915.

image.png.a99ea02b1bb1b8d428113de3f9e2eb04.png

It refers to training at Denham: is this Denham in Suffolk which is what I thought I was looking at or Denham Buckinghamshire which I have seen mentioned elsewhere?

Another report also mentions a visit by the Archbishop of Canterbury!

Also any info on CLB would be interesting as would a source document on story of KRRC I could refer to.

Thank you all for your help

George

George,

What was the name of the newspaper where you found this?

Mark

Edited by MBrockway
Error: 16/KRRC were of course at Rayleigh, not Hadleigh!

George Rayner

Mark, and Steven thanks very much for the replies.

The newspaper was the Diss Express published on 12th Feb 1915 with the Archbishop piece on 26th February.

I was following individuals through Ancestry, Find my Past and newspapers linked with Denham-that's the one near Hoxne not Bury St Edmunds-and the search field turned it up. The fact it was in that newspaper led me astray as didn't immediately see a link with Buckinghamshire. Then found another reference to a young Canadian Cadet C. D. Harrrison-listed as Canadian RAF having died in a boxing match. Tracing him through CWGC led to the Bucks link and thus me questioning it.

However there is a reference to a CLB platoon marching from Eye, Suffolk to Denham, Hoxne in August on a training patrol where tea was provided by a Mr and Mrs Turner.

Bit long-winded explanation I'm afraid. But specifically trying to trace and track all service personnel from Hoxne and Denham from WW1 period whether born, married, lived or resident in either village at any time! Quite an interesting challenge

George

MBrockway
3 hours ago, George Rayner said:

Mark, and Steven thanks very much for the replies.

The newspaper was the Diss Express published on 12th Feb 1915 with the Archbishop piece on 26th February.

I was following individuals through Ancestry, Find my Past and newspapers linked with Denham-that's the one near Hoxne not Bury St Edmunds-and the search field turned it up. The fact it was in that newspaper led me astray as didn't immediately see a link with Buckinghamshire. Then found another reference to a young Canadian Cadet C. D. Harrrison-listed as Canadian RAF having died in a boxing match. Tracing him through CWGC led to the Bucks link and thus me questioning it.

However there is a reference to a CLB platoon marching from Eye, Suffolk to Denham, Hoxne in August on a training patrol where tea was provided by a Mr and Mrs Turner.

Bit long-winded explanation I'm afraid. But specifically trying to trace and track all service personnel from Hoxne and Denham from WW1 period whether born, married, lived or resident in either village at any time! Quite an interesting challenge

George

Great project George - good luck with it.  My mother lived in Botesdale for nearly a decade, so not that far away.  She's back in Scotland now though!

MBrockway

Correction:  my original reply mentioned 16/KRRC being at Hadleigh for a time.  Wrong!  I meant Rayleigh - apologies.

Mark