Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is this british officer?

Jools mckenna

15 seem an unusually low MC count for a regiment.

14 hours ago, MBrockway said:

15 seem an unusually low MC count for a regiment.

Doesn't include other ranks and probably isn't a complete list as a complete list is hard to find.

17 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

There is a pic of 20+ Queen’s officers in the Surrey Mirror and County Post 8/6/1917. Wooster is far left on the back row. Reproduction  on FMP is so poor cannot hazard an opinion. He is in de Ruvigny’s but no pic. Killed 1918.

If it is Wooster the photo would have to be taken in 1917 or later.

Wooster C D H Captain MC 6th Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment Obit De Ruvignys Roll Of Honour Vol 4 (1).jpg

31 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

Doesn't include other ranks and probably isn't a complete list as a complete list is hard to find.

MC awards to Other Ranks would be limited to the most senior of the Warrant Officers and are quite rare.

To highlight only 15 Military Crosses for one regiment for the whole War being a very low figure, the KRRC figures are: MC to officers - 321; MC Bars to officers - 27; MC to Other Ranks - 15.

I think you may have missed off large numbers of MCs to the Queen's.  How did you build your list of 15 officers in Post #15?

Mark

5 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

MC awards to Other Ranks would be limited to the most senior of the Warrant Officers and are quite rare.

To highlight only 15 Military Crosses for one regiment for the whole War being a very low figure, the KRRC figures are: MC to officers - 321; MC Bars to officers - 27; MC to Other Ranks - 15.

I think you may have missed off large numbers of MCs to the Queen's.  How did you build your list of 15 officers in Post #15?

Mark

London Gazette and this website http://www.ww1photos.com/WestSurreyRegt.html. And I agree that I must have missed quite a lot. 

The Surrey newspaper uses his full initials so assume correctly identified. Search BNA using CDH Wooster

8 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

The Surrey newspaper uses his full initials so assume correctly identified. Search BNA using CDH Wooster 

Full name: Clarence Daniel Henry Wooster

The names of all MC holders known to be living are included in the quarterly Supplement published with the Monthly Army Lists for Jan, Apr, Jul and Oct.

The names are for all regiments and are in surname order, but each man's regiment is given.  Here's a sample (you already have Abercrombie)  ...

142450367_ArmyListMCHolders-sample.jpg.11d441ebe9217e0b4fe88e5783735fe6.jpg

If you use this to build a shortlist of Queen's (R W Surrey) MC holders, you are likely to get closer to the ~200 I suspect you need to be looking at.

Your task is made harder unfortunately because the Army List removed MC holders' names once they were confirmed as having died, so you will need to be canny as to which dated list you pick.

Investigating the 15 names you have given us seems rather pointless when the number of captains alone awarded the MC from the Queen's must be considerably more than 15.

Are you aware also that your LG search included the term 'Lieutenant'?

Edited by MBrockway