Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is this british officer?

Jools mckenna

All I know is that he was awarded the MC as his first medal, he's a captain and he's from the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment. I've found 2 officers who fit this criteria using the London gazette; 

22 June 1915/ Captain A. E. Beattie, attached 4th Battalion, Nigeria Regiment (gazette still puts him under west surrey regiment)
·         Captain Arthur Percival Hamilton, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment), Adjutant 18th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (London Irish Rifles), Territorial Force.

But I could have missed someone.

Scan0057.jpg.4c221134dc1a4ef59dbd9c7f18e59659.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

I'm not guaranteeing anything, but I would say Captain Arthur is the one, the arm cuffs on the uniform speak more West front than Nigeria to me, with arm cuffs on the West front uniform.

Definitely not him then.

I must have missed someone. As its probably not Beattie as he was serving with the Nigeria regiment(wouldn't he wear the Nigerian regiment cap badge?)

His MIC shows Nigerian Regiment then the Queen's. So possibly him. But pic does not look as if it is Africa so we need to prove he went to Europe

Just now, Mark1959 said:

His MIC shows Nigerian Regiment then the Queen's. So possibly him. But pic does not look as if it is Africa so we need to prove he went to Europe

When I get back, I will look into the gazette to see if I've missed anybody and also look into promotions(temporary and permanent)

According to a family tree this is Beattie in later life

beattie.jpg.9aedd1ca68489dfe16c8d84dd403e328.jpg

I would say he looks a good fit but not conclusive

Edited by Mark1959

4 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

beattie.jpg.9aedd1ca68489dfe16c8d84dd403e328.jpg

I would say he looks a good fit but not conclusive

I have to say that could be him.

This appears to refer to Beattie. Born in Stirling 25/1/1888. Died 14/4/1951

stirling2a.jpg.d312ac30f1b2740809a28115cf93f9e7.jpg

Stirling paper 8/1/16.

So not the mystery man on horseback. 

Here a list of officers who were awarded the MC

The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment). Awarded the Military Cross. Captain A. E. Beattie, attached 4th Battalion, Nigeria Regiment.

Second Lieutenant A. R. Abercrombie, attached 1st Battalion, East Surrey Regiment.

Second Lieutenant J. H. Musson. Second Lieutenant M. D. Wilson (Special Reserve), attached 1st Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment.

Lieutenant H. C. Williams.

Cobb W R Captain

Lieutenant R. K. Ross

Ryan A E Captain MC 11th West Surrey Regt 

Selous F H B Captain MC R West Surrey Regt 

Walter J S Captain MC 7th West Surrey 

Wyndham G H MC 8th West Surrey 

Wooster C D H Captain

Ford N S 2nd Lt

Crichton A J 2nd Lt MC 1st The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment)

Lieutenant Alexander Ralph Abercrombie, 1st Battalion, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment).-same guy as before

Captain Arthur Percival Hamilton, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment), Adjutant 18th (County of London) Battalion, The London Regiment (London Irish Rifles), Territorial Force. For conspicuous gallantry on 25th September 1915, during the attack at Maroc and Loos. Although severely wounded early in the day, he remained in the German second line trench reorganising and encouraging the men till the consolidation was well advanced. He then had to be ordered to go back for medical attendance.

Edited by Jools mckenna

Photos of 2 of the officers.

image.png.bee36dd401e0450006cd88cb757c2b56 (2).png

image.png.bd8aca692636a1da5a73815dfc887b90 (3).png

Edited by Jools mckenna

Wooster C D H Captain

Ryan A E Captain MC 11th West Surrey Regt 

Selous F H B Captain MC R West Surrey Regt 

Walter J S Captain MC 7th West Surrey 

Cobb W R Captain

The Captains are the biggest suspects.

Could it be Selous?

fhfg (2).jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

Opinions?

2 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

My view is No. But just one opinion

Thanks, the face is too long and the features are different. Just trying to revive this thread.

Edited by Jools mckenna

There is a pic of 20+ Queen’s officers in the Surrey Mirror and County Post 8/6/1917. Wooster is far left on the back row. Reproduction  on FMP is so poor cannot hazard an opinion. He is in de Ruvigny’s but no pic. Killed 1918.

1 minute ago, Mark1959 said:

There is a pic of 20+ Queen’s officers in the Surrey Mirror and County Post 8/6/1917. Wooster is far left on the back row. Reproduction  on FMP is so poor cannot hazard an opinion. He is in de Ruvigny’s but no pic. Killed 1918.

Poor man

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

Can you post that picture here?