Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My Grandad's Pip, Squeak & Wilfred

Cpl Coleman

I was cleaning out my late brother's attic a couple of weeks ago and came across our granddad's (Thomas Coleman 45826 RGA 16 Siege Battery) WW1 trio in a Princess Mary tin in one of our parent's old trunks! I had never seen the medals before and had only heard family stories about them. They're a little on the dirty side... What's the best way to gently clean them?

IMG_20181213_212606570_HDR.jpg

Grandfather Thomas Coleman in Uniform Circa 1915 (2).jpg

Edited by Cpl Coleman

Whoops! ... Wilfred. Thanks daggers

Edited by Cpl Coleman

with regards to cleaning, thats 100 years of patina on them, personally....I would leave as they are.

other opinions are available...

Personally I'd leave them as they are, they have taken nearly 100 years to look like that and they have a pleasing overall tone which suits the aged ribbons. I particularly like the blue black patina BWM get when they haven't been touched for decades . Cleaning them back to bright shiny metal will make them look like replicas undoing a hundred years of gentle ageing in seconds.

If you want them clean I would consider taking them to a Jeweller who has an unltrasonic cleaner. It shouldn't cost a fortune, and the process is not abrasive. If you drop me a PM, I believe I know a highly reputable medal dealer who may be able to offer this service.

A delightful find - I'm thrilled for you!

Mike

Edited by Medaler

I concur. Leave them as they are unless there is dirt and grime on them. Then soapy, warm water and a soft-headed toothbrush. The Victory Medal currently has original lustre and this could be lost if overly cleaned. The patina on the BWM is a natural condition through aging and reaction with the air (like rust but not metal destroying). As a collector I would prefer my BWMs to be like this rather than bright and shiny. They do not need to be bright and shiny - the parade ground requirement was over 100 years ago.

I'm really pleased for you, what a fantastic find!

Chris