Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Laing Pvt. 3974, 2nd Black Watch att. 6th Black Watch (T.F.)

dhubthaigh

Laing appeared in the casualty lists from the Press & Journal dated 23rd June, 1915

Laing 1.jpg

This notice followed on in the Daily Record from 8th July, 1915

Laing 3.jpg

In a list of wounded from the Dundee Courier from 11th August, 1916 indicates he is a Perth man

Laing2.jpg.90e930e2cb67997b31c415f50090dad6.jpg

Laing's MIC states he arrived in France on the 3rd May, 1915 almost to the day the 6th Black Watch landed.

Would this man have been attached to the 6th before leaving for France or on landing. I don't know where the 2nd Battalion were in France at this time but would he have joined them then sent back to the 6th and for what reason?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Mark

Edited by dhubthaigh

The 2nd Black watch were In divisional reserve east of Vieille Chapelle at this time. Don't see any service record. Maybe a regular attached for training. Maybe an error on the MIC, it's only a day out. Interested to see what others think.

Mike

Hi Mark.

LLT shows the 2nd Battalion arriving at Marseilles from India in October 1914 and, since that date is NOT shown on his Medal Card, would it be fair to assume that John was not with them?

It seems more likely that he had gone to the UK to lend his experience to the 1/6th (Perthshire) Battalion, which was getting ready for overseas service, and that he landed with them at Boulogne in May 1915.

Or...…...

I cannot seem to trace him on the 1911 census in India.

Might he have been recruited and allocated to the 2nd Bn. but was still in the UK in August 1914?

Ken

I assume 3974 is his correct service number, as it is what appears on his MIC?

And that 3794 is a typo, even though it appears in 2 separate newspapers on different dates?

1 minute ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I assume 3974 is his correct service number, as it is what appears on his MIC?

And that 3794 is a typo, even though it appears in 2 separate newspapers on different dates?

Yes, a typo I believe

Thanks for that Ken.

Further to my my query is there anyone who could tell from his service number when Laing joined/enlisted?

Thanks

Mark