Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Ribbons id please

BillyH

I am asking a lot of our experts here, but the poor image below has been clipped from a 1915 newspaper photo of the officers and sergeants of an infantry battalion.

This man was a Captain in 1915 but he had been awarded the Queen's and King's S.A. medals for service in the Boer War. At some point he was also awarded a DCM, presumably before he was commissioned in 1915.

Can anyone have a stab at what the medal ribbons are please?

BillyH.

gwf.JPG.b7cc58466b0ab2b006949d456988a4fc.JPG

I'm sorry but that ready isn't a good enough shot to have even a SWAG about...given he is supposed to be a QSAM and KSAM holder in the photo, I think there is a suggestive appearance of those?  The white blobby bit could be the middle of the KSAM riband?

Oh there, I've said too much! 😉

I think I might be able see all three, but it's not remotely conclusive. I take the "white blobby bit" in the middle to be the orange centre of the QSA, and can see what could easily be red/black/red stripes either side of it which support that. There must be something to (as we are viewing it) the left. There is also something to the right, but I can't see either of those clearly.

Mike

With that history, I can't see any way in which he would not be displaying all three as he had them long before he was commissioned? Though it's just possible that his DCM hadn't been yet gazetted.

Edited by PhilB