Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cells

Phil H

I am researching my Great Uncle, James Young AB- who died of sickness HMS Vivid  12th August 1918. He served in HMS Jupiter when she went to Russia in 1915 to act as an Icebreaker, the Czar awarding the crew a medal for successfully clearing a channel through  the Ice at Archangel. I note in his service record that he was awarded '5 days cells' at one point.  What sort of  offence would merit this punishment?  I note this seems to be the only 'hiccup' in his 11 years in the Navy.. 

cells.JPG

By coincidence I posted this

about the cell at Devonport dockyard just this morning. I thought you might be interested, as HMS Vivid was, as I understand it, a Devonport shore establishment.

Hello, James was serving in Jupiter when he got 5 days, it looks like during her Russia trip. Yes, Vivid at Devonport, he had been sent to hospital here where he died.

The HMS VIVID cells posted by Uncle George are Police cells They are not Naval cells.

HMS JUPITER was at  North Shields on 29 January 1915 and on passage to the White Sea from 5 to 19 February.  Whatever offence he was guilty of (and this cannot be determined since cells could be awarded for a variety of crimes) it was committed at North Shields and the punishment was almost certainly served on board.

5 Days cells would not, of itself, have resulted in the reduction from VG to Fair (F) for his character at the end of 1915. He must have undergone other punishments during 1915 for a reduction to Fair.

Thanks for that, I cannot read the entry very well, I was 26 years Merchant Navy and worst I got was extra duties and logged a days pay,. (Though the Master gave me it back for good conduct later   )  Our disciplinary system being much more lenient than in the RN of course.