Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The East Kent Regiment.The Buffs

Philip Wood

Dear Sirs and Madams,     Subject; War history of Private Leonard Wood Kent Kent Buffs. 

I am Philip Wood originally from Ashford in Kent and I am now researching both  my late fathers and also my uncles war record in the first world war.

I am very interested in finding out anything about firstly my fathers war record when he served in INDIA with the EaST kENT regiment; The kent buffs.I have SOmany photographe s in SEPIA  not black and white from his time in INDIA but alas I do not know  who the people are in them.,The Buffs museum in Canterbury in Kent have already copied them because they are so interesting.My father also took photos of the very first planes used by the then R.F.C not as now ,the R.A.F.

iF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO EXCHANGE INFORMATION ABOUT THEIR RELATIVES WAR HISTORY IN INDIA AND AFGANISTAN PLEASE CONTACT ME.hE WAS IN THE M.G.C

( machine gun corp)

Edited by Philip Wood
forgot the subject

You haven't included any service numbers, so am guessing that you are talking about Private 4078 East Kent Regiment / Private 113858 Machine Gun Corps.?

Dear Sir,

Yes, my fathers service number was 113858.I do know that he was in the MGC,.He was in the war for the duration and his brother ,was sent to France ,and yes he died there very early into the war at the SOMME.

Dear Sir,

I have just come home and I am so happy to find more information on my father.Thank you so much.I have many questions to ask someone regarding his war experiences in India,but the  curator of the Buffs museum in Canterbury  said the records of the Buffs were all destroyed out in India.However I did let the museum copy all the photographs because some are very special,including a set of 4 bi-planes used in Afganistan in 1915.The term Royal Flying corps was then still used and not yet changed to the R.A.F.

Thank you again for all your help and please keep in touch.I will certainly send you any photographs you might like to see.Problem now is the sepia is very very yellow and some photos need  immediate attention.At the very least I should have them all copied.

My e mail- address is philipenglish50AThotmailDOTcom

Regards,

Philip Wood                                                                                                                              

Ohilip - just a warning: putting your e-mail address on the Forum could be a little dangerous as it will be open t all sorts of dodgy characters. Might be worth deleting it. You will, after another couple of posts, have access to the Forum's personal messaging facility

The fact he has the British War Medal only (apart from his IGSM) indicates he never entered an operational theatre of war during WW1. So all overseas service likely to have been in India

He appears in the Medal roll of the MGC for the IGSM with Aghanistan 1919 Clasp. This gives his unit as 270 Company MGC at that time. The longlongtrail says about the 270th:

"Formed in Quetta, India in December 1917 under 4th (Quetta) Division."

The roll also tells us he was disembodied (discharged) 21st Jan 1920. (NB Ancestry has this indexed as Battle of Waterloo - the MGC at Waterloo - now that would be News!).

The 1/4th Battalion remained in India though out the war and without any other evidence would be my guess for his unit.  

Edited by Mark1959

15 hours ago, Philip Wood said:

.I have SOmany photographe s in SEPIA  not black and white

Sepia photos normally start off a B&W but fade to sepia over time. It is possible to bleach B&W photos and then redevelop them in a sepia tone solution. Yours will have started life a full B&W images.

3 hours ago, Philip Wood said:

.Problem now is the sepia is very very yellow and some photos need  immediate attention.                                                                                                                

If you scan the sepia images you can normally correct the tone to normal B&W in Adobe Photoshop or almost any image editor by adjusting the tone, contrast or simply by hitting 'auto correct' if you use the old Windows picture manager.

It's amazing how they can be recovered.

Thanks for all that info about old sepia photos.It is very useful.I will follow your instructions.

Thanks again,

Philip 

Dear everybody out there giving me all such wonderful advice and information.Because I have technophobia I cannot always find the individual reply section to click on ok.

So to all those who have replied to my posts, again a huge thank you and please keep in touch.

Regards,

Philip       .

10 hours ago, Philip Wood said:

I have technophobia

Regards,

Philip       .

Join the club!