Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

M v Richthofen locations?

Tom Morgan

I'm looking for present-day Western Front sites which have a link to MvR.

Can anyone suggest any, in addition to:

The crash-site

Bertangles Cemetery

Fricourt German Cemetery

the sign-board at the Australian Memorial Park, le Hamel which gives a distant view of the flight-path.

Grateful for any others.

Tom

Tom,

Here near Kortrijk (Courtrai), there is the place where Marckebeke Aerodrome was and the Château were the pilots from the airfield were. If you did a bit of research, you could find where he crashed in July 1917 (somewhere near Wervik IIRC) and the hospital in which he was taken care for (with Manfred von Richthofen's father being "Ortskommandant" of Kortrijk at this time).

Jan

There's also a chateau at Cappy where his Jasta had their HQ at the time of his death; the airstrip was quite close to it.

The small church/chapel near ?Bray which is pictured on the cover of The Last Flight of the Red Baron (name of commune escapes me at the mo) is also still there.

Tom

At the risk of telling someone how to suck eggs, have you tried a post on The Aerodrome Forum. Very international "member group" and some real experts on the flyers. If the knowledge is anywhere it's on there.

John

Thanks, Jan, Paul and John for the advice and suggestions - much appreciated and all things I will be following up.

Tom

• 5 years later...
I'm looking for present-day Western Front sites which have a link to MvR.

Can anyone suggest any, in addition to:

The crash-site

Bertangles Cemetery

Fricourt German Cemetery

the sign-board at the Australian Memorial Park, le Hamel which gives a distant view of the flight-path.

Grateful for any others.

Tom

I would like to have the exact location of the airstrip in Cappy. The locals all have differing views on the subject. Has anyone got any maps?

If you read MvR's book he talks a fair bit about his time in Belgium.

G'day,

I was around Cappy about 10 years ago. A local farmer showed me a field just outside town, on the left as you come into the town from down the hill, where he said the Flying Circus was based ---or according to his father-

The local cafe had a diorama in the window of the setup. I believe it was from here that the Baron flew his last mission.

I also believe that they flew out of Corbie-le-somme.

Can't help with maps-

good luck

if you find a definite answer - please post

cheerio