Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchesters collar badge (unusual)

meekumslr

Firstly, happy new year all and hope you had a good one.

I picked up a uniform today and one thing that I wanted to know is about the collar badges.

They are General Service badges but have been adapted to Manchesters badges with the scroll fixed with wire.

This obviously makes the badge wrong for the Manchesters but has anyone come across this before and would it have been acceptable?

Naturally, all the buttons are Manchesters.

I think the ‘adaptation’ is nice history but wondered if it was commonplace?

Many thanks, Neil.

BB15DDA0-24A8-4D4D-97D0-7F886ABDDAED.jpeg

1C20B7E1-5479-4D6B-AE01-FC34D46BC3D1.jpeg

B0F783DD-FEF3-4CC0-AA10-EF9B79E16EF9.jpeg

B9AA2FFE-7441-4241-91B4-7DAB9F29A55D.jpeg

Thanks daggers,

Just looking at that now and would love to know the film it may be from.

I now know they provided uniforms for Lawrence of Arabia but can’t find an actor of that name.

I will continue my search.

dont worry, the uniform was not bought as a WW1 collectors item and was reasonable, however, if I could identify its history, it may prove interesting.

Neil.

David, 

thank you so much for looking that, however, it is Hills as opposed to Hill.

I have just been told that the H in Hills is different to the H in John, suggesting John Mills.

someone has just researched the name which corresponds with the pair of breeches worn by John Mills in the film ,Oh What a Lovely War’, 1969.

I can understand this as M Berman made uniforms for film in the 1940s to 1972, including Lawrence of Arabia, The Lighthorsemen etc.

unfortunately, not a WW1 uniform (well, not the breeches) but very nice if they are John Mills’ breeches from such a poignant film.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, meekumslr said:

David, 

thank you so much for looking that, however, it is Hills as opposed to Hill.

I have just been told that the H in Hills is different to the H in John, suggesting John Mills.

someone has just researched the name which corresponds with the pair of breeches worn by John Mills in the film ,Oh What a Lovely War’, 1969.

I can understand this as M Berman made uniforms for film in the 1940s to 1972, including Lawrence of Arabia, The Lighthorsemen etc.

unfortunately, not a WW1 uniform (well, not the breeches) but very nice if they are John Mills’ breeches from such a poignant film.

My apologies, missed the "s".

It is possible the "H" could be an "M"

Best wishes

David

For what it’s worth the badge has been manufactured using beret sized General Service badges with the scrolls from first pattern Manchester Regiment cap badges.  I suspect that it might have been to portray the WW1 poet, Wilfred Owen, who was in the Manchester’s, in a play.