Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John L Reid: Pension Ledger: Why "Trans" rather than "Discharged"?

rolt968

1500765030_JLReid.jpg.8e630f902a1dbba07e08927a97b79642.jpg

James Low Reid had quite an interesting WW1 career. He was wounded (in the leg, I think - but can't immediately find the newspaper report) in December 1916, serving with 1 Black Watch. On his return to service he served with the 192 Company, Labour Corps. He seems to have been moved into one of the "scratch" battalions formed from fitter Labour Corps men in the spring of 1918. His battalion seems to have become 13 R.Innis.F. I think that the Pension Ledger entry may relate to a second wound (spring 1918 or later).

Can anyone explain the alteration of "Discharge" to "Trans" (presumably "transferred"). I think it may be the date of transfer to Z Reserve - unfortunately the date does not appear on his MIRC or Medal Roll?

Am I right?

Why does it appear rather than his discharge date?

RM

34 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

1500765030_JLReid.jpg.8e630f902a1dbba07e08927a97b79642.jpg

James Low Reid had quite an interesting WW1 career. He was wounded (in the leg, I think - but can't immediately find the newspaper report) in December 1916, serving with 1 Black Watch. On his return to service he served with the 192 Company, Labour Corps. He seems to have been moved into one of the "scratch" battalions formed from fitter Labour Corps men in the spring of 1918. His battalion seems to have become 13 R.Innis.F. I think that the Pension Ledger entry may relate to a second wound (spring 1918 or later).

Can anyone explain the alteration of "Discharge" to "Trans" (presumably "transferred"). I think it may be the date of transfer to Z Reserve - unfortunately the date does not appear on his MIRC or Medal Roll?

Am I right?

Why does it appear rather than his discharge date?

RM

A man who claimed for a military pension would be asked to make the claim on transfer to the Class Z reserve, he didn't have to wait until any service obligation was ended.

Craig

25 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

A man who claimed for a military pension would be asked to make the claim on transfer to the Class Z reserve, he didn't have to wait until any service obligation was ended.

Craig

Thanks Craig,

The Pension Ledger are turning out to be  a mine of new information.

RM

2 hours ago, rolt968 said:

Thanks Craig,

The Pension Ledger are turning out to be  a mine of new information.

RM

The cards are so variable but there's some real nuggets amongst them.

Craig