Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Thomas Paul (10900) Hampshire Regiment

Anthony Ewen

Thomas Paul was born on the Isle of Wight on 9 March 1897 and enlisted with the Hampshire Regiment at the beginning of September 1914.  I understand that he went to 13th Battalion but in July 1915 was transferred to 2nd Battalion and sailed from Avonmouth on 28 July on HMT Royal Edward with reinforcements for the 2nd Battalion in Gallipoli.  The Royal Edward was torpedoed on 13 August after leaving Alexandria for Gallipoli and sank within 6 minutes.  Tom Paul was one on the men that managed to escape from the sinking ship,rescued from the sea and taken back to Alexandria.  The war diaries for the 2nd Battalion record that 14 men 'survivors from the Royal Edward' joined the battalion in Gallipoli on 26 August (this date confirmed on Tom Paul's medal card but card does not state battalion).

After the withdrawal from Gallipoli in January 1916, war diaries for 2nd Battalion record the men returning to Egypt until 15 March when they embarked for France, landing at Marseilles on 20 March and then proceeding north to Western Front.

Tom Paul died from wounds on 15 November 1916 and is buried/commemorated at Contay British Cemetery.  The CWGC entry states that he was aged 21 (whereas he was 19) and that he was serving in 14th Battalion Hampshire Regiment. I understand that 14th Battalion went to France from England at the beginning of March 1916

I suspect that the age is as a result of incorrect details on enlisting but can anyone offer any clarification about why he might be in 14th Battalion when he was with 2nd Battalion previously?

The 13th Btn. was a training (reserve) unit at Bovington at that time.

You may be interested in a display at the Hampshire Regt. Museum which shows a letter explaining how 100(?) men were picked for the draft to Gallipoli by straw poll. The letter is written by one of those picked, and tells his mother that his brother was not picked. Then at the end of the letter he tells that the brother has managed to join the draft and the two brothers are to go out together. 

Both brothers were drowned. 

Very moving story.

Regards

Alan.

1 hour ago, Anthony Ewen said:

Thomas Paul was born on the Isle of Wight on 9 March 1897 and enlisted with the Hampshire Regiment at the beginning of September 1914.  I understand that he went to 13th Battalion but in July 1915 was transferred to 2nd Battalion and sailed from Avonmouth on 28 July on HMT Royal Edward with reinforcements for the 2nd Battalion in Gallipoli.  The Royal Edward was torpedoed on 13 August after leaving Alexandria for Gallipoli and sank within 6 minutes.  Tom Paul was one on the men that managed to escape from the sinking ship,rescued from the sea and taken back to Alexandria.  The war diaries for the 2nd Battalion record that 14 men 'survivors from the Royal Edward' joined the battalion in Gallipoli on 26 August (this date confirmed on Tom Paul's medal card but card does not state battalion).

After the withdrawal from Gallipoli in January 1916, war diaries for 2nd Battalion record the men returning to Egypt until 15 March when they embarked for France, landing at Marseilles on 20 March and then proceeding north to Western Front.

Tom Paul died from wounds on 15 November 1916 and is buried/commemorated at Contay British Cemetery.  The CWGC entry states that he was aged 21 (whereas he was 19) and that he was serving in 14th Battalion Hampshire Regiment. I understand that 14th Battalion went to France from England at the beginning of March 1916

I suspect that the age is as a result of incorrect details on enlisting but can anyone offer any clarification about why he might be in 14th Battalion when he was with 2nd Battalion previously?

Medal Roll does show him with 2nd and 14th.

He was probably transferred after a wound when he would have been 'off strength' from the 2nd and when fit drafted to join the 14th (Pompy Pals) which would have had quite a few IoW men, no doubt.

There's no doubt he died while serving with the 14th. 

Regards

Alan.

Many thanks Alan for the very prompt and most helpful info.

Kind Regards

Tony Ewen

2 hours ago, Anthony Ewen said:

I suspect that the age is as a result of incorrect details on enlisting

Not "incorrect details", he did what many other 17 year olds did and lied, making himself 19 so he could serve in a theatre of War, at 17 he'd have been turned away.

Sam

Many thanks for this Sam.  When making the post I tried to be 'delicate' about what I suspected which was exactly what you have confirmed.  Will try to be more forthright in future!

With thanks for your interest and kind regards

Tony Ewen