Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Pearce Hambleton - KIA - Royal Fusiliers

condronjames

Hello all

Could anyone provide me with any information about James Pearce Hambleton. He was in the 32nd and then the 26th Battalion and was killed in action on 25 October 1918 in Belgium.

Members of this site have kindly supplied the relevant war diary and some further regimental information, but I’d be hugely grateful for any info relating to him personally, in particular any local newspaper information about his death, letters to family, or photographs. I believe he may be the second man from the right, seated, in the attached picture. 

I also found out that his name is on a battlefield cross in a church in London:

http://thereturned.co.uk/crosses/st-edmund-king-and-martyr-city-of-london/

Any further information would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

James 

65CF90C9-F57C-4907-A8EB-6EA5E5DDFCAE.jpeg

Hi James

You may already have this.

He was born1st qtr 1876 Poplar, London, (1c,674), Soldiers' effects, Brother John and Sister Alice Kate. Census 1881, James P. born Bromley by Bow, Middlesex., mother Mary Ann K Hambleton, widow, aged  32yrs, brother John William, 7yrs, Address 71 Church St., Bethnal Green. 1891 living with his uncle Edward J Pearce and his family 97 Gt.Cambridge St., Shoreditch.London. 1911 living with his elder sister Alice at 19 Granville Terrrace,Edmonton. He is a linoleum maker.

Father was John William Hambleton 1844-1877, mother Mary Ann Kate Pearce 1849-1886. Sister Alice 1871-1946, brother John 1873-1961....looking

His parents were married on the 17th October, 1869 at St.Andrews, Bethnal Green, Mary's father, James, was a "Sergeant in the Army" Cert. on line.......

Crimean War 1854-1855, 9th Regt. of foot. No.1456. He was born 1819, Southwark, London married Mary Ann Bryant (Nee New.) b.1821 Bermondsey on 15th November 1858 St.Paul Bermondsey. She was a widow. His occ. Serjt. 9th Regt. A witness Edward Bradley signed and added "Serjeant 9th Light Infantry" Cert. on line.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

This is brilliant. Thanks. Are there likely to be other records relating to his time as a soldier please? 

Also, I’ve been discussing James P Hambleton’s rank of Sgt in WW1 with a relative, and one theory is that he must have had previous military experience to get there in 1916. Does anyone have any information on a possible role in the Boer War please?

Thanks

James 

As you have the diaries, if you haven't already done it you could relate the locations in the account of the actions on 21 to 26 October to the map and present day image at the link below.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=50.8015&lon=3.4446&layers=101464960&right=BingHyb

Ooteghem at top left.

I find no record for him in Boer war records.

Max

There is a medical record for him on FmP:

- 15 July 1917, 139th Field Ambulance, as L-Cpl 32nd Btn...puncture wound to the buttock

Age 41, 1 year 2 months service, 11 months in the field.

-

Hi again

Date of birth 1st Jan, 1876..baptism record 19th March 1876 All Saints, Poplar. 1911 his mother ( a nurse) and brother at 13 George Row, Bermondsey  with 2 grandchildren, Charles John and Francis Ellen Bishop 13 and 6 yrs

Regards Barry

Thanks all. I’ll have a look at the maps Max. What an amazing site.

@Neil 2242 would you possibly be able up provide a screenshot of the medical record please? Would the puncture wound most likely be caused by a bullet?

Thanks for that extra info Barry 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2019 at 15:07, Neil 2242 said:

There is a medical record for him on FmP:

- 15 July 1917, 139th Field Ambulance, as L-Cpl 32nd Btn...puncture wound to the buttock

Age 41, 1 year 2 months service, 11 months in the field.

-

I’d be extremely grateful if someone could take a screenshot/post a copy of this medical record please.

James

James

The rules of the site do not allow the posting of documents from subscription sites. 

Extract:  

The Moderators have a responsibility to ensure that we do not breach any Terms & Conditions laid down by copyright owners.

Members may NOT use the GWF as a platform to ask parties who are subscribers to various subscription sites to download material on their behalf or to post it on the GWF.

May I suggest you take out a trial sub on FMP.  He is in the military records with the mis transcribed initial JD.

Max