Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WFA Pensions Record Index Cards and Pension Ledgers

SJV

Hello!

I am trying to interpret these records for a WW1 soldier.  I have found David Tattersfield's article a good starting point to decipher the regional codes and type of ledger (https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/articles/great-war-pension-record-cards-and-ledgers-deeper-understanding/).

Now I am stuck on the rest!

For example, under Disabilities, both the ledgers I have (he transferred regions) say 'D.A.H.'  Does anyone know what this stands for?

There are many other codes and dates that I don't understand, so if there is a guide or list out there please could someone point me in the right direction? 

Many thanks :)

• Admin

DAH- disordered action of the heart

Michelle

7 minutes ago, SJV said:

There are many other codes and dates that I don't understand, so if there is a guide or list out there please could someone point me in the right direction? 

If the codes you mean are those shown on the left and lower part of the card then most are lost to history - I have been putting together a list of abbreviations but some are likely impossible to crack. They relate primarily to administrative tasks associated with administering the claim (There are a couple I recognise and suspect were used in the same way as when I worked for the DWP dealing with pensions in the early 2000's).

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thank you both!

One of the ledgers says in the top left "Transferred to - F.W.A."  Any ideas?

Also, how unusual was it to give address as c/o someone or a hotel?

Thank you!

1 minute ago, SJV said:

Thank you both!

One of the ledgers says in the top left "Transferred to - F.W.A."  Any ideas?

Also, how unusual was it to give address as c/o someone or a hotel?

Thank you!

Can you link to the record please. The transfer reference is in respect of the claim being moved from one office to another.

I have seen a good few C/O and contact addresses so I suspect that it wasn't uncommon. People were more itinerant back then.

Craig

Can't say on that - can you link to the full record or post the details so we can look at the full card.

Craig

On 09/01/2019 at 21:27, ss002d6252 said:

Can't say on that - can you link to the full record or post the details so we can look at the full card.

Craig

Above is the first one Craig.  :)

Looking at other surrounding cards from the same set the 'region' is often filled in with administrative notes rather than specifying the region - some cards have been completed with 'F.W.A' and a new region code. It's not a code that I recognise and, at the moment, can't suggest what it can be.

Craig

15 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

Looking at other surrounding cards from the same set the 'region' is often filled in with administrative notes rather than specifying the region - some cards have been completed with 'F.W.A' and a new region code. It's not a code that I recognise and, at the moment, can't suggest what it can be.

Craig

Thanks Craig.  Here's the other one...

Edited by SJV

The claim was transferred from the Northern Region to Ulster/Northern Ireland then to Southern England/London (if you look deeper then other cards may survive for those regions).

Awards - This is the pension awards section.

Audit - Audit team

Corres - Correspondence

Trans - Transfer

EO - Possibly executive officer but that's a guess. In my day an EO would head up a pension team.

Craig

12 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

The claim was transferred from the Northern Region to Ulster/Northern Ireland then to Southern England/London (if you look deeper then other cards may survive for those regions).

Awards - This is the pension awards section.

Audit - Audit team

Corres - Correspondence

Trans - Transfer

EO - Possibly executive officer but that's a guess. In my day an EO would head up a pension team.

Craig

Fantastic!  Thank you very much.  Does the attached indicate there may be another record to find?  Or indeed tell us when he died?

Edited by SJV

It gives the 3 pension numbers that were used for him, whether or not the associated pension card still exists or not would require a search of the surviving cards.

It would appear his death was after Dec 1924.

Craig

• 3 years later...

Cards for crew survivors of the troopship  ROYAL EDWARD>
Are all from the WFA in Ancestry?

I can't find Thomas Henry FRANKLIN, baker, bn. 1873.

13 hours ago, Kath said:

Cards for crew survivors of the troopship  ROYAL EDWARD>
Are all from the WFA in Ancestry?

I can't find Thomas Henry FRANKLIN, baker, bn. 1873.

Yes, all records are now available. There's no other sets that will be forthcoming / yet to be digitised