Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur Coke Burnell - The Making of an Officer

emo924

Hi

I am wondering if any member has or has access to :

The Making of an Officer : or A Boy's Life told in his letters

A private publication by Warren & Son in Winchester - believed compiled by his father.

Highly unlikely I will find a copy to buy but if any member knows where access to the content could be gained I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Chris

Chris,

A trip to the Imperial War Museum may be necessary - https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1500034468

Otherwise forum member Stiletto is a ninja on the Rifle Brigade and may be able to advise.

Regards

Colin

Chris,

Is it something in this memorial volume you are particularly looking for or information on the 4th or 2nd RB. I do not personally have this memorial book, about the only RB one I do not have, however Michael Haines in his critical bibliography says the following

" Arthur Coke Burnell was born in 1894 and educated at Winchester and Sandhurst. He was commissioned into the 4th battalion in 1913 serving in India before going to France in 1914. he was killed near Bois Grenier on 18 March 1916. As the title suggests this memoir is based on letters to his family - charming but slight."

After being wounded during the 2nd Battle of Ypres as Adjutant of the 4th, he returned to the front and went to the 2nd RB as their MG officer. He was killed at Fleurbaix while helping to bring in a wounded man from between the lines.

Andy

img389.jpg

Edited by stiletto_33853