Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Royal Fusiliers

Paul Reed

Has anyone done any research on Other Ranks only who died with this battalion on 1st July 1916 (or who were wounded on that day and died of wounds) and can point me to any obituaries, especially ones that have photos?

Perhaps you have a man who died with this unit on this day who is on the War Memorial you are researching?

Any help appreciated.

Hello Paul,

I would be greatly interested in the results of your research.

I have been (as you may remember) doing research on Killed July 1, 1916 serving with I have managed to find a few things here and there, but not too much considering his rank etc. I would be happy to share the bits I have found, if you like?

Regards

David

Canada

Hi David,

Because Guyon left the 2/RF I don't have very much on him; I note that there doesn't appear to be a service record for him in WO339.

What I mainly interested in here, for a project I working on in, are details of any Other Ranks who died with this Bn on 1st July. I am okay with the officers, but the ordinary men are more difficult to trace, as we all know.

Paul

I'm not sure if this is of any use but I have one man on a memorial I have recently started researching. I don't have an obituary

MERRICK JOHN FRANCIS HENRY Private G/15498

2nd Bn Royal Fusiliers

Formerly 84605 Royal Field Artillery

Killed in Action 01/07/1916 Age:32

Son of Mrs. Sarah Jane Merrick of 49 Ashley St. Bilston.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 8 C 9 A and 16 A.

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

The memorial is on my site here http://wolverhamptonwarmemorials.com/Bilston-Town-Memorial

Regards Doug.

Paul

I was going to say in my previous post,I will be going to the local archive in the next couple of weeks, I can have a lookat the papers to see if there is any additional information.

Regards Doug.

• 3 weeks later...

Paul

I looked for additional information at the Wolverhampton Archive as promised, for MERRICK JOHN FRANCIS HENRY but unfortunately there was no obituary. I looked through two local daily papers and one local weekly covering 1916-17, without success.

Regards Doug