Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for info on POW list

Jacorb

Hello, recently I have been looking for info on a POW camp in Germany. The part I am looking into is where is says Central- Nachwise-  Buiro, at least I think it does. I am putting an image. Wondering if this is where the camp is or something else. Thanks for any info.C_G1_E_04_01_0164_0053.JPG.c5dde0939785f31c7aceba0bbe1cc6ec.JPG

Think it means something like Central Records Office. But my German is very schoolboy and my schooldays were a long time ago.

It is a file with a series of PA references 32650 to 32938. If you go to the Red Cross website where this copy came from you can scroll down the pages and see that there are bunches of forms from different Camps. For instance 32650 shows camp HAMMELBURG and a few pages later some from SOLTAU etc etc. So likely a War Ministry file (hence Kriegsministerium).

PARCHIM.Capacity 25000 inmates. Ex Cavalry drill ground 3 miles from the town. 130 kms east of Hamburg.

Edited by sotonmate
location.

The image you have posted is the cover to the list number 2818 sent from the Central Verification Office of the Royal Prussian War Ministry in Berlin to the Red Cross. It contains names of the dead and PoWs interned in various camps. The Red Cross have added their file numbers at the bottom.

Charlie