Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt G. Hulme (5/285) NZEF - Help needed to find burial site - Warneton Area - June 1917

smclaren

G'day & Happy New Year to everyone ... 

I am researching the WW1 active service of George Hulme (5/285) of the 1st Auckland Battalion NZEF ... who was tragically killed just after the main battle of Messines on the 22nd of June 1917.

His military records show a witness account of his death and the coordinates of his burial ... and I am hoping that someone can help me nail down as close as possible the actual burial site.

The notes of his death ...

"We were holding the line at Warneton when Hulme was killed by a shell outright & buried just behind the trench at Warneton by Pte Coxhead & ??? France 13.10.17.

This NCO was buried at approximately V.11a 5.2 Sheet 28 S.W 4 "

I'm not 100% sure I have accurately transcribed the co-ordinates above .... so I have included the original file notes below. 

FL17168307%201_zpsjq2rozi9.jpg

I am using the great ww1 map database for the general Warneton area as supplied by the National Library of Scotland for the period 18 July 1917 here .... but am struggling to get right down to the detail to find the actual burial site.

Any assistance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Yes, it must be U11.

Google street view only goes to the past the end of this lane and it looks like a rough track leading to the site838618912_Screenshot2019-01-08at14_59_03.png.0640e8fa8565b017bf06935ac2c5d755.png.

Suggestion for transcription:

"buried just behind the trench at Warneton by Pte Coxhead & another France 13.10.17."

Martin

Thank you for all of your help, Guys ... this site always amazes me in the generous assistance offered.

Thank you Martin also for deciphering the word "another" ... that had me stumped ! 

I intend to make a pilgrimage to George Hulme's burial site to pay my respects ... as he was one of my Grandfathers best mates in the war and something of a legend in the Auckland Infantry Battalion.

The burial site is just behind the trench where he was hit ("  ... buried just behind the trench"). This is a contemporary account of his death ..."Poor George, after the Messine's stunt, he was in a big raid about June the 20th. He came through alright, but later in the day he was standing in a captured German dugout shaving himself, a wizz-bang burst right in the doorway ... thus a brave man of ANZAC answered the call and made the supreme sacrifice". 

My grandafther said this of Hulme in his diary, when he found out of his death ... "Friday 22nd June 1917 - At 12.30pm, I have just got the word from the front line that my old cobber Humeie has been killed. Poor old Ferg. I was just talking to him the night before last, up digging trenches behind his strong point. He was just as happy as ever. It is hard to realize he is killed. I will miss him when we are out (unreadable) ... he was one of the gamest ...." 

Here is a photo of him (Hulme) after the Battle of the Somme (circled) .... with some Battalion mates, their captured (and worn) enemy bounty .... and his trusty Lewis gun (he ran a Lewis gun crew). That German helmet he is wearing (along with some Turkish daggers he souvenired at Gallipoli) now all reside in the Auckland Museum.

Rest in peace, George Hulme.

image.png.81d60cf13d2e5522b7c233b0081dad46.png

original.jpg

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/collection/object/am_humanhistory-object-697183

http://www.aucklandmuseum.com/collections-research/collections/record/am_humanhistory-object-697184

Edited by smclaren
More info

Following on from post #5, you should have no trouble finding it when you visit:

image.png.fb0c10bef3828cc917ab4832f20e3148.png