Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembered today on the GWF - Sister Charlotte Berrie

frev

Frev,

brilliant!!!

I just saw her name and noted it for April... I'm off to Israel for a week and will DEFINITELY visit her grave!!

I'll send you the pics!!

M.

• Admin

Frev

Nice work on the Discovering Anzacs site. I think I selected her because the QAIMNS is such an unusual unit to see listed on CWGC.

Glen

Not forgotten. Thanks for posting this Frev,

Pete.

1689461018_CornflowerSmall.JPG.34c40baf027fcbd0e64744d03f5883f4.JPG

16 hours ago, Marilyne said:

I just saw her name and noted it for April... I'm off to Israel for a week and will DEFINITELY visit her grave!!

I'll send you the pics!!

That's wonderful news Marilyne - I'd guess she is probably one of the least visited of our Aussie ladies.

Will look forward to seeing the photos, many thanks...

Cheers, Frev

16 hours ago, spof said:

I think I selected her because the QAIMNS is such an unusual unit to see listed on CWGC.

I'm so glad you did Glen - and here was me thinking the names were automatically selected at random!!

Thanks for reading (& you too Pete!)

Cheers, Frev

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

And Frev particularly.

So today was the day... off to Jerusalem.

First fight with the group about the general destination of the day... I wanted Yad Vashem, the rest old Jerusalem... OK... one half day trolling through that souk.

Then JL and I walked the 3.5 km to the cemetery, cross ready and full of expectation.

Tja... bad luck: they are working on the new tram line and access to the cemetery was IMPOSSIBLE! Guard house closed, backdoor closed and due to the works, even the main entrance out of bounds... unless one want to try a leap over the trench in front of the wall... nopes...

So I guess I'd have to come back to this cemetery one day.

here some pics:

DSC01941.JPG.5413c85ca17a5a70211f9fdae32806da.JPG

DSC01942.JPG.4b1669fdbb83b8a4498ed1e12e4d2e20.JPG

DSC01946.JPG.43f0090b38f15025f6ebeff88374a944.JPG

Frev,

I hope to be at Mnt Scopus at 10:00 on Monday, 29th April for the Anzac Day commemoration service

[and I presume that the Australian embassy has already been assured that there will be access at that time]

I shall have my camera with me and will make a point of seeking out Q107

Marilyne; I hope that the rest of your visit goes well

regards 

Michael

:poppy:

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 08:08, michaeldr said:

Frev,

I hope to be at Mnt Scopus at 10:00 on Monday, 29th April for the Anzac Day commemoration service

[and I presume that the Australian embassy has already been assured that there will be access at that time]

regards 

Michael

Michael,

could I have that picture too please???

The rest of the visit is going well... today the first day of our march and it was gorgeous weather!!

M;

On 04/04/2019 at 17:08, michaeldr said:

Frev,

regards 

Michael

Wow - that's brilliant Michael - I'll keep my fingers crossed - and hope all goes well for the commemoration service.

Glad to hear the rest of your visit is working out better than the wasted trek to the cemetery Marilyne...

Cheers, Frev

16 hours ago, Marilyne said:

could I have that picture too please???

If I get one, then you shall certainly have a copy

Good luck with the march

Michael

we made it!!!

56649324_1552752908203098_3213205634187001856_n.jpg.02fe707c4a3300231c08126a4358f2eb.jpg

And we'll definitely be back here for another visit to the cemetery ... and other things... and another march!!

M.

Very glad to hear that you made it OK
That's such beautiful countryside to walk in
Though I had heard that there was talk of postponing the march this year because the ground was so wet after so much rain this winter

Again; very glad that you enjoyed it

regards
Michael

1 minute ago, michaeldr said:

Though I had heard that there was talk of postponing the march this year because the ground was so wet after so much rain this winter

That's a rumor.

This has never been done before and is also quite difficult to justify when people have booked planes in advance.

The IML calendar is known two years in advance... postponing has to be done very early on!

M.

I'm so glad that the state of the ground was no hindrance to you or your party 
Well done you
and well done everyone who took part

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/04/2019 at 07:08, michaeldr said:

Frev & Marilyne,

Access to the Mnt. Scopus CWGC cemetery this morning was via the 'works' entrance and parking was at the hospital next door, but all turned out OK in the end. The delayed service had a good turn-out, though perhaps not as many as usual. Congratulations to the Australian embassy on a well organised service, conducted under less than perfect conditions and in 29º with no shade.

I have managed to get two shots of Sister Berrie's headstone and added a poppy to the cross which someone else had left.

If you prefer, then these can be emailed to you if you PM me with your details

P1070857.jpg.5634d07ab4e2cbb424b2e21b52470423.jpg

P1070859.jpg.62f6d99cf0017e20ffa06bfde169345f.jpg

So glad the service went well Michael - and that Charlotte has had some visitors.

The photos are perfect, thank you for sharing.

Is it okay if I add a copy to her 'profile' at the Discovering Anzacs website (link in first post) - courtesy of yourself of course!

Cheers, Frev

• 1 year later...

Charlotte was my grandfather's Aunt,yet he never met her i don't believe. His mother Oric also died when he was an infant. He was born 1914 in Mareeba, so she must have seen him as a baby before she left for the war. Her other sister,( her NOK) Aunt Glad, or Gladys raised my Pop and his brother. I have one of Charlotte's autograph books from that era. And I feel as kids we were allowed to play with medals she may have been given. I don't think they survived 8 great nieces/nephews. Ironically I have also worked at Cairns Base, I didn't know she worked there until I read this. 

I'm so grateful that some of you have visited her.