Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal bar ribbon

greatbeanbags

Please can someone tell me which medal this would relate to?  Unfortunately no medal with it.

Presume WW1 it as accompanied MC, GWM, VM & Croix de Guerre miniature medals with their ribbons mounted on a bar for wear. Thanks.

0822F827-C9E8-4AA1-9DF5-E44EC7A3A056.jpeg

These are the WW1 miniature medals I am fortunate to be the custodian of.  The ribbon bar at the top is better shown here so if anyone can enlighten me on the medal that would have gone with it I would be very interested to know.  Thanks.

54CD7BAA-E207-4FA3-9A3F-2614C2A3F948.jpeg

I do not think that it is a British Award.

Nice groups by the way.

Thank you for thought & nice comment..see your location is Rivendel.....interestingly just named a new property development with Shropshire Council in Church Stretton called Rivendell....2 x l’s though.   

Can you let us know who was awarded these medals, it might give a lead as to the missing one?

Dave

Dave

They are all unnamed miniatures!  Unfortunately most were, I believe having read a few posts on the forum about miniatures.

My eldest great uncle, wife’s grandfather could have worn the bottom 3 medals....as entered service in 1914. However eldest great uncle would never have worn them as was KIA at Loos in 1915. My cousin has his large, named medals & Death Plaque. We have my wife’s grandfathers large medals who survived Gallipoli & The Somme.

My grandfather & yongest great uncle could have worn the 2 centre medals in the top set of medals having entered service in 1916.  Grandfather survived The Somme, 3rd Battle of Ypres, The Italian Campaign...youngest great uncle would never have worn as KIA at Passcendaele in 1917.  We have both men’s large medals but not the Death Plaque for youngest great uncle. Also have 2 Mabbutt’s & another Vince cousin who could have worn the medals if not all KIA. No large medals for these or Death Plaques.

It would be interesting to know if any forum member knows of an individual, serving from 1916 throughout WW1 who was awarded a MC & Croix de Guerre with his 2 British war medals.  I believe though that an individual could have had a MC & his unit collectively the Croix de Guerre?

My grandfather fought in The Manchester Regiment, 20th Bn. in November 1918. It would great to imagine that 2nd Lieutenant Harry Branham in this Bn. was awarded his MC for this citation in the London Gazette, 2 April 1919. ‘For marked gallantry & good leadership of a platoon on 6 Nov 1918,  during advance from Maroilles to Dompierre.  When held up on east of Dompierre by a strong enemy position he worked around the enemy left flank & rushed the village, capturing 40 prisoners & 3 machine guns, therefore enabling the advance to continue & reach its objective ‘.  Perhaps my grandfather was in his platoon & they were collectively awarded a Croix de Guerre?  Perhaps I have Harry’s miniature medals that he proudly wore after WW1?  We shall never know!

A soldier or officer serving in a unit awarded the Croix de Guerre would not have worn the individual decoration.  So your top group would be of an officer (or WO possibly) awarded an MC and a Croix de Guerre.  Also he received a mention.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Buller...your thoughts much appreciated.