Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help please with uniform

Rob B

I have been shown this photo by an aunt its of her great uncle Henry/Herbert Watts. Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Rob 

image.png.698af0bcd938b457984c1dfd56dac294.png

Wonderful John, many thanks.

Rob

He seems to be Royal Marines Light Infantry, at their recruit training depot in Deal, and wearing a scarlet frock rather than a tunic (no white piping visible), as walking-out-dress, something that I’ve not seen before.  I’d date the photo to around 1905+/-

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 08/01/2019 at 13:43, FROGSMILE said:

He seems to be Royal Marines Light Infantry, at their recruit training depot in Deal, and wearing a scarlet frock rather than a tunic (no white piping visible), as walking-out-dress, something that I’ve not seen before.  I’d date the photo to around 1905+/-

Very much appreciated. I think for dating its 1900+/- as the family assure me he went to South Africa, and there becomes another project.

The RMLI other ranks' field service cap came into use after 1 May 1897 (replacing the Glengarry) and the field service cap was replaced by the Broderick cap in 1903. I would, therefore place the image at 1900+/- 3

Hi Rob,

I inherited this photograph, from my late father-in-law, of his father 7449 Pte John Howe Sinclair Royal Marine Light Infantry Plymouth Division, he enlisted in 1894 in Edinburgh and served until 31 March 1910. The photograph was taking circa 1895 and somewhere not long after it has been coloured and tinted, which illustrated the uniform beautifully. However, the Regimental Colours and Badge are coloured in water colour and gold leaf.  

I hope this gives you an idea what your relatives uniform would look like in colour.

Kind regards

Hiram

php6vkuE1AM.jpg

phpWsu5H6AM.jpg