Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How are things in France

KIRKY

Posts on FB showing motorways and major roads blocked for 8th weekend in row, those over in France , is this true or just fake news?

Tony

My friend just spent weekend on Somme. No props at all reported.

All quite on the Somme front at the moment !!

There haven't been any issues around the Somme, that I'm aware of, apart from one road block on the outskirts of Peronne on the Monday after the first weekend. We see the Gilet Jaunes around, but they are a visible protest and aren't causing any disruption. I just give them a wave as I pass. They were handing out leaflets one morning on the traffic island on the ringroad, south of Albert, but only to those who chose to stop to take one. 

2 hours ago, Franksy said:

All quite on the Somme front at the moment !!

Im Westen nichts Neues, then.

Same for Belgium... it has quieted down a bit now.

And I expect it's going to be the case also in France now that the police started handing out fines for "deliberately blocking major roads" ...

the main issues are now in the capital, but that ain't "gilets jaunes" anymore, but "casseurs"

Safe travels!!

M.

I drove the length of France on the motorways ten days ago. Not a sight of anyone. There were motorway signs about Sortie X being blocked, but they were after the péage.

A friend (rather old woman) was threatened by them for not having a gilet jaune visible. They simply surrounded the car and banged on it until she got it out.

I have just driven the length of the Cote d'Azur, and no trouble at all. The Gendarmerie have been dismantling most of the camps.

A demonstration in Luxembourg (by the French) on Monday attracted FOUR people! I think they went home again.

The thing seems to be fizzling out; hopefully.