Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"..Striking his head on the camel.." 1909

Repulse II

'Evening, folks, and HNY.

For a local history book on Dover, I am writing about a lad who fell overboard and struck his head on "the camel".  I gather from Google that that is some type of floatation device, I'm hoping that someone on here can fill me in as to what it was, what it looked like and how it worked in 1909, when the accident took place.  The accident happened in Dec 1909 aboard the Prince of Wales while stationed at Dover.

Many thanks.

Edited by Repulse II
Typo

While not knowing about the 1909 incident, I can say that a “camel” was similar to a dumb barge, moored alongside a larger vessel to protect it or to act as a “spacer”.

In the days of the Liverpool Overhead Railway we could see camels in several docks during the journey, usually identified by a number.

D

I suspect it might be something like this: https://harbortech.us/products/marine-camels/ - which is I think in line with Daggers’ post.  Obviously the advertised product is made out of modern materials unavailable in 1909.

Edited by pierssc

Thanks, Pierssc, that's a great help.

My sailor fell overboard because of the swell.  It knocked the gangway (correct term?) off and he fell overboard.

The ship, the P of W, was moored to the P of W Pier at Dover, but it seems there was a problem with swell, which was evident before the accident:

From the Dover Express, 1909:

"...The strong easterly breezes that have prevailed this week have made the harbour rather uncomfortable.  The PoW has felt it more especially as there are no ropes to keep the vessel from rubbing against the landing stage.  It became necessary for the Rambler to tow its stern at high water in order to prevent the vessel working against the pier.  It would seem most necessary that off-moorings should be laid at all the places where the vessels lay alongside to keep them off the piers.  Such provision has always been found necessary at Dover in mooring vessels alongside the piers."

It looks as if an accident was bound to happen.