Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Liverpool Regt, Pow, mystery.

TTracer44

Some help required, I was shown a silver ladies card case by a friend of family that belonged to friends great aunt, written on what looks like a piece of bone attached to centre hinge is what looks like (Kings Liverpool Regiment) and underneath what appears to be a POW camp address( Germany ) from what I was told it relates to ww1 period, friend would like to know if it is a POW camp and where was it in Germany.

The lady in question was from the Durham area and at one point in life was in South Africa.

Den

2CBB1AEE-C169-4820-8A4A-AD23BBFB9DD6.jpeg

Not my area of expertise (not sure if I have one) but this seems to refer to an officers' P.O.W. camp at Lahr, Baden which housed British prisoners from 1917.

Ian

Certainly looks like an Officer POW camp....Offizier Gefangenan Lager.

Not sure which era it relates to as yet.

Edit....good call by Ian

Edited by Neil 2242

Thanks IanA, yes I wondered if it might be referring to officers but wanted somebody with more knowledge to confirm my feelings, I’m now wondering if a list of officers from the KLR who were pow’s is out there, or is that expecting too much.

It would be amazing if we could attribute a name to this officer.

Den

Thanks also Neil, justseen your post while writing.

Neil 2242

Thanks for your interest but this friend is also from the Durham area and the family has close connections with Durham light Infantry and has also done his family history so would know if it was a relitive, unfortunatly I agreed to try and find out as much info without giving away family names. Will see how it goes and if we need to use names will ask friend for permission.

Den

Edited by TTracer44

Without doubt a camp for officers. I can‘t find a reference to a WW2 PoW Camp. There is a database of WW1 Officer PoWs on Ancestry, applying a filter for the KLR should list most of them.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie2, will get down to the local Library on Monday and see what comes up.

Den 

This is the same message on the other side of card by a different hand, much the same but just what could be an initial at the start, could be an H.

Den

D7B96F75-F450-4F3A-AED7-1CAB414AF23C.jpeg

11 hours ago, TTracer44 said:

Thanks Charlie2, will get down to the local Library on Monday and see what comes up.

Den 

Den,

I suggest you use just the filter „Liverpool“ in the keyword box, many if not all are recorded as x Bn Liverpool Regt rather than Kings Liverpool Regt. 

Charlie

Hello Charlie2, 

I am overwhelmed by your help, so I owe you one, not sure how that will work but thanks again, I see you have gone back to July 1916, is that because of the year in post #2 with a bit of overlap.

I can tell you there are a couple surnames in the list the same as the lady owner of card case, so will get back my friend to see if they appear on his family tree.

I will update with any subsequent findings.

Den

19 minutes ago, TTracer44 said:

I see you have gone back to July 1916, is that because of the year in post #2 with a bit of overlap.

Den,

you are most welcome. The names are just what the search produced, I did not specify any dates. 

Charlie

• 2 months later...

Need some help with the list of names in post #11 from Charlie2, they are all POWs officers from the Liverpool Reg, I need to find the ones that were sent to Lahr Baden POW camp, is there an easy way to do this, or am I expecting too much,

or would certain regiments be sent there because of the area they were operating in.

Den

Den,

The only way to find the info you want is to search for them in the ICRC database. There is no easy way. 

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, I wasn’t expecting too much but thought I would ask the question just in case!

Den

The 'Map of The Main Prison Camps In Germany and Austria' by Mrs. Pope-Hennessy shows the location: https://archive.org/details/mapofmainprisonc00poperich/page/n1. Click through to Page 7.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown
More info

This one has the map. Scroll to end.

There are some references to the camp online, for example: http://www.rcl-europe.org/history-br002.html. Scroll down for a picture. It seems that the camp was in the Luisenschule which is is still a school today: http://www.stadtinformation.de/galerie-lahr-im-schwarzwald-luisenschule-4355.html.

Acknown

Thank you Acknown, I will forward these links to the friend, hopefully he can come up with a name for the Officer.

Den

I think I've got him. Capt H T Willmer. See: https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/162150/3/2/

I thought the first letter on the second photo was an 'H' - his initial?

Of course, there may have been other KLR officers at Lahr ...

Acknown

Hello Acknown, apologies for late reply busy time of year! You could be right with Capt Harvey Thew Willmer but mustn’t get too excited too soon as I have been sent by friend another list of POW names for KLR compiled by Messrs Cox & Co.

he hasn’t said where he gained these from but they are separated into Battallions

and as we know Harvey Willmer was from the 19th Battalion, I have included page with the other men from that batt and interestingly they all are missing on the same day 22/3/1918 I started to look at the others and Lt J Ross was also at Lahr camp but then run out of time but will start a search of the others. I really need to visit friend to see how he is doing with search of Family Tree. Will keep you posted with any updates.

Den5CA2F4AF-E0E4-4AEC-883F-CC0EE5961875.jpeg.3af27459d33a14bce995efddfece57ee.jpeg6200E4B8-15CD-45D6-9CFF-972414370E4A.jpeg.bf0e7dba39875fdf1c51103b8256bd96.jpeg

Thanks for the update. I just had a hunt around the 'H' initials and he came up. Good luck!

Acknown 

• 7 months later...

I am looking at 2/lt  T E George 25th Batt, kings Liverpool POW from the list above 

he appears on the icrc site but doesn’t seem to show a POW camp, am I missing something.

den

3 hours ago, TTracer44 said:

he appears on the icrc site but doesn’t seem to show a POW camp, am I missing something.

If he was captured 10/10/18 then the war was over and he would have been released (back in UK 29/11/18) before the Germans could complete notification to ICRC, I suspect ?

charlie

On 02/04/2019 at 20:29, TTracer44 said:

Hello Acknown, apologies for late reply busy time of year! You could be right with Capt Harvey Thew Willmer but mustn’t get too excited too soon as I have been sent by friend another list of POW names for KLR compiled by Messrs Cox & Co.

he hasn’t said where he gained these from but they are separated into Battallions

and as we know Harvey Willmer was from the 19th Battalion, I have included page with the other men from that batt and interestingly they all are missing on the same day 22/3/1918 I started to look at the others and Lt J Ross was also at Lahr camp but then run out of time but will start a search of the others. I really need to visit friend to see how he is doing with search of Family Tree. Will keep you posted with any updates.

Den5CA2F4AF-E0E4-4AEC-883F-CC0EE5961875.jpeg.3af27459d33a14bce995efddfece57ee.jpeg6200E4B8-15CD-45D6-9CFF-972414370E4A.jpeg.bf0e7dba39875fdf1c51103b8256bd96.jpeg

TTracer44,

Would your friend have access to the rest of the entries for the King's Liverpool Regiment from this list?