Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots Tam O' Shanter

Chef_Hendrix

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I just wanted to share my Great Grandads Tam O'Shanter with you all. It is in a pretty good condition considering the age and only has a few moth holes! Until recently it was my favourite item in my very small collection but having recently been gifted another Great Grandfathers medals from my Auntie and Uncle it now shares top spot with them! 

Unfortunately I have no pictures of him wearing it, only earlier photos when I believe he was in the ASC HT (possibly as a Territorial- thanks to HolymoleyRE for that info) and was then transferred at some point to the 16th Royal Scots joining them in Aug/Sept 1917 and later wounded in the spring the following year.

He has his service number stamped on the inside and the WD stamp which is faded. There is a thin metal ring which I suppose was to help keep its shape and at some point the metal pin which secures the badge looks to have been replaced with a hair pin!

Thanks for looking.

DSC_0269.JPG

DSC_0263.JPG

DSC_0262.JPG

DSC_0258.JPG

DSC_0260.JPG

DSC_0259.JPG

Edited by Chef_Hendrix
Update text

Nice.

A lovely item to have, thank you for sharing.

Chris

Query for the Royal Scots experts out there.  Would the 16th have worn the red  backing to the badge?

Furthermore, by 1917 wouldn't most have been wearing the all brass badge?  

57 minutes ago, Ron Abbott said:

Query for the Royal Scots experts out there.  Would the 16th have worn the red  backing to the badge?

Hi Ron,

Speaking with Jack Alexander (McCrae's Battalion - The story of the 16th Royal Scots) he surmises the following 

"In September 1916, 13 HLI became the 52nd Training Reserve Battalion, based at Leven in Fife. He remained there to complete his training until he was sent out as part of a general infantry draft in August 1917. On 20 August he and his mates were directed to 12 RS in 9 Division, then immediately re-directed to 16 RS in 34 Division (who urgently required replacements following their recent action at Hargicourt on 26-28 August). They arrived and were taken on strength on 1 September and you’ll find the entry in the War Diary"

Unfortunately his service record does not survive so unsure of the exact details and when exactly he was issued with his ToS for the Royal Scots.

What a nice family piece. It's important to make sure the information is kept with it for future generations. As you suggest, the metal ring is there to shape it. I've occasionally seen this in other Tams.

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 23:13, Ron Abbott said:

Only if they were new recruits in receipt of newly made badges.  The bimetal would continued to be worn as issued and old stocks used up.

and the red backing to the badge?  Was that worn by the 16th battalion?

3 hours ago, Ron Abbott said:

and the red backing to the badge?  Was that worn by the 16th battalion?

Yes, worn by the 15th (1st Edinburgh) and 16th (2nd Edinburgh) Battalions both 101 Brigade, 34th Division. Although to distinguish them the 15th wore a red band on the shoulder strap and the 16th a blue strap. (Ref. The Badges of Kitchener's Army and obviously the tam o' shanter as pictured above)

Edited by Chef_Hendrix
Update text

On 05/01/2019 at 21:56, Steven Broomfield said:

Nice.

On 05/01/2019 at 22:45, Dragoon said:

A lovely item to have, thank you for sharing.

Chris

On 06/01/2019 at 11:48, Grovetown said:

Very nice thing, especially to a relative.

Cheers,

GT.

22 hours ago, wainfleet said:

What a nice family piece. It's important to make sure the information is kept with it for future generations. As you suggest, the metal ring is there to shape it. I've occasionally seen this in other Tams.

Thank you everyone.

I agree, knowing that it belongs to a family member just makes it that more special to be custodian and take care of. Rest assured wainfleet, all of my photos, research and documents are being catalogued for my family tree and shared with my family now so everyone can see it. I just hope my future generation, a hundred years from now appreciate it! (i'm sure they will)

Thanks

Gaz