Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
richard1949

German positions Bucquoy July 1918

richard1949

Hi, my Grandfather, Gunner Arthur Blackshaw- X Trench Mortar Battery, 37th Brigade, RFA according to the 'War Diaries' was killed at map ref: F26d 95.05 at 4.10pm 26th July 1918. Last 26th July I was fortunate to stand on the exact spot at the same time one hundred years later.  However, in the 'War Diaries' the Officer wrote  " At 4.10pm, we fired a short burst of fire on Torquay and Streatham.  One  hostile TM in Torquay group retaliated with 10 rounds on our position at  F26d 95.05.  We lost 1 OR killed and 2 ORs seriously wounded.Can anyone tell me how I may identify  the positions identified as "Torquay " and "Streatham".

Regards

Richard B

Edited by richard1949

sotonmate

Welcome to the Forum !

There may be a map in the War Diary of Commander Royal Artillery 37 Division, or operational orders for fire programmes which designate target zones. I see the reference on the Discovery database is WO95/2517:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4555668

which you can download for £3.50.

Edited by sotonmate
number error in file

MaxD

Sotoonmate is correct, it is the nomenclature Richard used which has confused the issue.  

The X (Y and Z) followed by a number denotes the medium TMBs of a division, in this case X37 was one of the (originally) 3 Medium TMB of 37 Division (not brigade) (Z was broken up in Feb of 1918).  The diary that Richard quotes from WO 95/2521 is clear.  

His advice to check out the 37 Division CRA's diary is worth following.

Max.

Edited by MaxD
clarity

Martin Feledziak

It is confusing I spent a good 25 minutes reading through the war diary of X35 TMB then noticed my big error (37)

Donald D

I shall go and stand in a corner for half an hour! Having read it was near Bucquoy in July 1918 I assumed that it must be the 2nd Division, as well as 37 Brigade RFA being in 2nd Division. 2 + 2 = 25.

MaxD

Richard

You have probably found out by now that the CRA diary doesn't identify the locations represented by Torquay and Streatham, indeed they don't appear in any of the 37 Div artillery brigades' diaries.  You'll have noted that the diary uses grid references for some targets and nicknames for others.  If the nicknames were just for use within the TM batteries then nobody else needed to know them but it is frustrating that they aren't listed somewhere.  Some nicknames used in the diary represent the names of the local trench system you will find some of them on this map:

http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A70677/-/collection

Max

richard1949

Hi all, many thanks for your help!  I thought I had previously replied, but some how it disappeared!!!  Being a brief guest of the NHS sort of derailed my endeavours.   As Max stated, I also couldn't find any reference to areas around Buquoy with town or city code names in the 37th Division's diaries. But will keep looking. Thanks all