Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 boots?

algrowen

Hi all. I have recently been offered these boots I was informed they are from WW1. Can anyone help with identifying them? Are they British, German etc? Or even from the First World War?

They have no markings that I can see. 

Thank you 

A

91ED14EC-4927-4158-97D5-EA18B9F95390.jpeg

E8C27936-DDEE-460A-8A99-9D274BA22790.jpeg

747888D3-E5E1-4D53-B7DE-C77663A2F177.jpeg

72D8F00D-D1F2-4073-A69B-2E6D0B571377.jpeg

They are “Blucher” type trench boots that were especially popular in WW1 because of their special waterproofing qualities, created via a patented sole and upper design that utilises fold over seams and minimises the ingress of water.

Edited by FROGSMILE

After some further research, they are in fact WW1 officers boots made by ‘Lotus’ circa 1917. 

We replied at the same time. Many thanks FROGSMILE. 

2 minutes ago, algrowen said:

After some further research, they are in fact WW1 officers boots made by ‘Lotus’ circa 1917. 

Many manufacturers made Blucher type trench boots, you can still get an ankle high version today.  There are also Blucher shoes.

Edited by FROGSMILE

For officers I assume?

20 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

They are “Blucher” type trench boots that were especially popular in WW1 because of their special waterproofing qualities, created via a patented sole and upper design that utilises fold over seams and minimises the ingress of water.

That's an interesting little titbit.

I have some records of patents relating to WW1 - mostly equipment (more wire-cutters than you can shake a stick at) - and it'd be great if there was a link or reference to add to those.

Cheers,

GT.

44 minutes ago, Grovetown said:

That's an interesting little titbit.

I have some records of patents relating to WW1 - mostly equipment (more wire-cutters than you can shake a stick at) - and it'd be great if there was a link or reference to add to those.

Cheers,

GT.

I don't think that the patent is specific to WW1, GT.  Rather like Stohwasser gaiters (also patented), it is more to do with leather and the shoe maker's trade.  It might now have expired, as it is quite an old technique and used by almost all the top shoemakers, but I do not know what the current situation is.

Edited by FROGSMILE

19 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I don't think that the patent is specific to WW1, GT.  Rather like Stohwasser gaiters (also patented), it is more to do with leather and the shoe maker's trade.  It might now have expired, as it is quite an old technique and used by almost all the top shoemakers, but I do not know what the current situation is.

Appreciate that, hence "relating" - exactly like Stohwassers.

I was hoping for design detail, which a patent suggests, not a material or trade,

Where possible, by having the patent (and date), we can say whether a type is consistent with wartime use - or not. Otherwise items can be claimed to be WW1 just as a matter of hearsay or assertion.

A good example is the Vero-lined Wolseley: often sold as WW1, yet revealed as a 1924 design by the patent information.

In this case, these are plainly a type of boot sold in the war and it seems the retailers must just have ignored the patent, if there was one.

Although they fit the usual definition of Blucher by their open lacing, they were almost invariably marketed as 'Norwegians' from the foot design. That's why the patent detail would be good.

If you've got Bodsworth, pages 184 - 187 show a good few boots (laced, with or without speed lacers, with or without straps/ flaps) described as Norwegian foot or front. Norwegian is also an option on plain-fronted boots.

For my part, I have a pair Faulkners' Norwegian No. 2 Model (shown on page 186). Their Norwegian No. 1 Model are an exact match for the OPs, showing the popularity of the style - and a total disregard for any design registration. I'll treat a patent in this case as hearsay for now until it surfaces.

Cheers,

GT.

14 minutes ago, Grovetown said:

Great stuff....if only it were legible!

3522/14   and  3822/14. 

Edited by GWF1967

13 minutes ago, Grovetown said:

Frustratingly, none of those numbers checks out on https://worldwide.espacenet.com/

If they are there, it would take a better (re)searcher than me. Maybe they are (unsuccessful) application numbers.

Cheers,

GT.

I edited my previous post as the 2622/14 isn't very clear, I'm pretty sure about the other two numbers; happy to be corrected though.  

Well done that man there. They are tricky to see. 

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

3522/14   and  3822/14. 

Well done that man there. They are tricky to see. 

6 hours ago, Grovetown said:

Glad we could be of assistance with your listing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264126025788?ul_noapp=true

"So young, and yet so cynical... " - what did I say? :(

Algrowen,

thank you for posting the link . I could be wrong but are you attempting to value items in your possession by using members knowledge? Just a thought.

Simon

1 hour ago, mancpal said:

I could be wrong -

Simon

But I've a feeling in my waters you could be right!

17 hours ago, mancpal said:

Algrowen,

thank you for posting the link . I could be wrong but are you attempting to value items in your possession by using members knowledge? Just a thought.

Simon

Member juno-44 has been doing this for years. When I asked him some time ago if he was a dealer, he just ignored the question. For some reason he still receives full and informative responses from people who you'd think would have cottoned on by now.