Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Adam Aiton - Military Mounted Police

alf mcm

Adam Charteris Aiton transferred from the Lothian and Borders Horse to the Military Mounted Police, and was allocated number P/12005. His service records have not survived, but there are pension records {on Fold 3, although he is named as Adam Conn Aiton} which show that he was discharged on 23rd January 1919, with pleurisy and nephritis. Can anyone tell me, from his MMP number, when he was transferred, and if possible where he served with MMP?

Regards,

Alf McM

The nearest number transfer in I have found so far is Thomas Brown P/12034. Transfered in 6/5/1917. Looking....

P/12002 to P/12006 were all L&B Horse to MMP - so possibly on same day but none seem to have surviving records

Fold3 adds nothing except discharge date 23/1/1919 and that he was suffering from Nephritis.

P/12050 is 13/7/17

P/12091 is 11/8/17

P/11986 is 8/8/17 into MFP

So I think we need to find one of P/12002-6 to give an exact date but looks like mid-1917

Edited by Mark1959

Thanks Mark,

I have checked the War Diary for 'B' Squadron L&BH from February to May 1917, but there is no mention of men being transferred to MMP, apart from 2 {un-named} on 25th May. Adam Aiton could of course have served in 'A' or 'D' Squadrons which were in Salonika in 1917. Their diary has not been digitised.

Regards,

Alf McM

Unusually the medal roll for his BW and  VM list out the theatre codes at top of the page as columns. This suggests he was 1A 27/9/15 to 5/11/18

He was transferred into the Military Mounted Police along with 21 other soldiers (including 4 others from L&B Horse) with effect from 18th July 1917 for service with BEF - extract from Corps Order Book entry for 8th August 1917.

Cheers,

Richard

Book 22_0138.jpg