Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cavalry/Yeomanry Uniform Identification

Woodsc

Hi

Could anyone please identify the uniform/unit and possible location of the attached image

Thank You

Identification 3.jpg

Edited by Woodsc

While we wait for an uniform expert I will give this a nudge and suggest he may be wearing a Brodrick cap which might make it pre WW1.

It’s not a Brodrick Gardener Bill as it has a peak.

The chain mesh on his shoulders is an identifier (possibly lancers).

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Spelling.

I can't see anything to identify him: nothing obvious, anyway. Is it possibe to have an enlargement of the shoulder chains? Although not in themselves regimental-specific, there might be a title or something on them.

I sort of edge towards a Yeomanry regiment, but I couldn't say more.

I edge towards Yeomanry too.  The cap badge looks particularly small unless my eyes are deceiving me.

I think that he is Imperial Yeomanry, shoulder chains were common on the post Boer War uniform used previous to the wide scale roll out of khaki drab service dress.  I think that he is wearing one of those earlier uniforms rather than SD.  Notice his frock has no pleats on the chest pocket and yet it is not simplified SD given the scalloped pocket flaps.  Unfortunately the cap badge is indiscernible.  The same size buttons on both pockets and front also militate against the garment being SD.  I would date it around 1906-07, after slouch hats had been replaced by the peaked forage cap. The West Kent and Sussex units were two that favoured shoulder chains to mention just two.

B4A84B38-4868-4734-B35E-85AAEB0DEF2A.jpeg

D6E077FB-5D33-4D7B-AD22-19AA7E99D8D9.jpeg

989BC459-3F1C-43AD-B1E4-1113E3C38930.jpeg

F5460FC2-976A-43EB-B3BE-5CFB045B95CE.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

14 hours ago, Waddell said:

It’s not a Brodrick Gardener Bill as it has a peak.

I thought that was the case but I was confused by Toby Braley's post #7 here:

The sword appears to have a straight blade, and therefore would be the Pattern 1908, which gives an earliest date. I don't know if these had been made available to the Yeomanry before the war, but the photo does have a TF summer camp look to it.

Ron

41 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

The sword appears to have a straight blade, and therefore would be the Pattern 1908, which gives an earliest date. I don't know if these had been made available to the Yeomanry before the war, but the photo does have a TF summer camp look to it.

Ron

Yes I agree that it seems to be a Summer training camp Ron, but just as with the Volunteer Force, I think that the pre-1908 yeomanry still attended camps, they were surely not invented by the TF.

Edited by FROGSMILE

But if it is - as Ron thinks and I tend to agree it is - a 1908-pattern sword, then the picture must post-date the Imperial Yeomanry and be a Yeomanry outfit between 1908 and 1914, presumably.

I was hoping the general consensus would lean toward the Lincolnshire Yeomanry who wore the epaulettes chains and a friend did comment it could be Grimthorpe Camp in view of the raised landscape. Also thought the cap badge profile was similar to the LY.

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

But if it is - as Ron thinks and I tend to agree it is - a 1908-pattern sword, then the picture must post-date the Imperial Yeomanry and be a Yeomanry outfit between 1908 and 1914, presumably.

Yes, I see now what was meant.  I was leaning towards the transition period between IY and T.F.  but perhaps it was post 1908 then.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

I'm no expert, but I don't think it's the 1908 pattern cavalry troopers sword. The sword in the photo has a very angular handle and crossguard, with the grip bound with silver wire, similar to earlier patterns of cavalry sword. The 1908 pattern sword is very distinctive, one in Royal armouries here.....https://royalarmouries.org/stories/object-of-the-month/cavalry-troopers-sword/

Dave.

He appears to be wearing a cross belt and pouch, does not look quite as fancy as the one that is on the cigarette card of the WKY that FROGSMILE has posted.

Chris

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 20:13, Dave66 said:

I'm no expert, but I don't think it's the 1908 pattern cavalry troopers sword. The sword in the photo has a very angular handle and crossguard, with the grip bound with silver wire, similar to earlier patterns of cavalry sword. The 1908 pattern sword is very distinctive, one in Royal armouries here.....https://royalarmouries.org/stories/object-of-the-month/cavalry-troopers-sword/

+1.

On 05/01/2019 at 22:05, Dragoon said:

He appears to be wearing a cross belt and pouch, does not look quite as fancy as the one that is on the cigarette card of the WKY that FROGSMILE has posted.

Chris

Yes, he’s wearing a full dress pouch belt and review order throat plume, which is odd for someone allegedly ‘scouting’.  If taken from life I imagine it was a bit of showboating.

On 05/01/2019 at 15:58, Gardenerbill said:

I thought that was the case but I was confused by Toby Braley's post #7 here:

only the man behind the drum has a peaked cap, all the others are the peakless Brodrick cap

9 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

@Jerry B , if you read my comment I referred to post #7, a picture of a single mounted soldier wearing a peaked cap.

OK, my mistake, I thought you were referring to the picture shown