Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform identification help

brodie

Can anyone help me identify this uniform and particularly which era it belongs too?  I think it’s later than WW1 but I don’t have enough knowledge to confirm.

16711DB4-907E-4695-A362-3A872F2B6726.jpeg

38 minutes ago, brodie said:

Can anyone help me identify this uniform and particularly which era it belongs too?  I think it’s later than WW1 but I don’t have enough knowledge to confirm.

It's a WW1 era British soldier wearing the standard Service Dress uniform of the period. The cap badge may be of the Royal Engineers, but it's rather too blurry to be certain. He wears elements of the 1903 Bandolier Equipment, and it is unlikely to have been taken much beyond the end of the war as he wears the web version of the belt that was only introduced in 1917 and made obsolete in 1923:

http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/1903/components/1903_belts_straps.html

Edited by Andrew Upton

Thank Andrew. That’s really helpful. It confirms this isn’t the man I thought it might be. He looks a bit old to have been in WW1 anyway.

Is there a connection with Dorset?  My first suggestion would be the same as Andrew’s, as the cap insignia does look like RE.  I ask because the Queen’s Own Dorset Yeomanry (part-time cavalry) had a similar shaped cap badge.  It would explain his age if he was 2nd or 3rd Line and also perhaps the mounted duty bandolier.

658AA6FF-4272-4DFF-A6B6-46B0DCE3C1BC.jpeg

10E65ED7-81AC-491A-8653-258E6318EFD2.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/01/2019 at 20:40, brodie said:

Thank Andrew. That’s really helpful. It confirms this isn’t the man I thought it might be. He looks a bit old to have been in WW1 anyway.

My great-grandfather joined the ASC in 1915 and was medically discharged in September 1916 at the age of 50 after serving for over a year in France/Flanders. Trust me, from a photo taken in 1910, he looked much older than the man in the opening post. Anyway, plenty of older blokes served overseas. Pete.

Looking at the cap badge in the opening post I think he could well be City of London Yeomanry. The size of the badge and the way the ends of the wreath meet the crown, it's definitely not QODY and I don't think it's RE either. Pete.

After enlarging the image on a decent screen I think that’s a good call, Pete [erratum], and might well be the case. I enclose a soldier of that unit for comparison along with a WW1 era badge of the CofLY.

C179E1C7-97BD-4796-A7D2-95321FC2AE44.jpeg

90621E8E-C40D-41F9-BEFA-6B923B784988.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

11 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

After enlarging the image on a decent screen I think that’s a good call, Chris, and might well be the case. I enclose a soldier of that unit for comparison along with a WW1 era badge of the CofLY.

C179E1C7-97BD-4796-A7D2-95321FC2AE44.jpeg

90621E8E-C40D-41F9-BEFA-6B923B784988.jpeg

Chris indeed!!. Pete.

31 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Chris indeed!!. Pete.

Sorry Pete.  A deserved rebuke.

1 hour ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Only joking young man.:)

Blimey, long time since I’ve been called young man. 😂